Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Chapter of KYMBA to Focus on DBNF and Points East

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: New Chapter of KYMBA to Focus on DBNF and Points East Reply with quote

Myself and a small group of others are looking into the feasibility of starting a new chapter of the Kentucky Mountain Bike Association (KYMBA) to focus on the DBNF, including all of the Sheltowee, and points east within the state.

I'm looking at scheduling a meeting on April 27 in Berea to see if there's a interest and to discuss.

There are already about half a dozen of us that will be there. Please pass this along, respond and let me know if you think you might be able to attend, and think about the pros and cons of a new chapter. We can discuss more in depth why this is coming about now.

This is not an attempt to draw resources away from the Bluegrass chapter, but to more specifically focus efforts where they are desperately needed.

There is also some potential for new development in the area which could be better managed under a new chapter to allow BG to focus on its ongoing efforts.

If you're a MTB hater please don't bother replying to this or attending the meeting. This is not about resolving multiple user issues at this time.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you flush out your interest? You say to focus efforts where they are greatly needed? Any specifics. the STA is organized as a mutiuser group and we welcome mountain bikers to the organization to help us meet the needs of the mountain biking community on The Trace.

Maybe joining forces would benefit the needs of all of us.

Feel free to give me a call.

Steve Barbour
ED STA

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The STA encourages our members and friends who are into Mountain Biking to consider attending this meeting and talking about how we all can better facilitate mountain bikes on the sheltowee. I hope to see many of you there.

Steve Barbour
ED , STA

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Official Meeting Invite Reply with quote

What: A meeting to discuss the need and viability of a new chapter of the Kentucky Mountain Bike Association (KyMBA) to focus on the Daniel Boone National Forest and the Cumberland Plateau (the rest of Eastern Kentucky).

When: Saturday, April 27, 2013 from 3:30pm to 5:30pm

Where: Kentucky Artisan Center Conference Room, 200 Artisan Way, Berea, KY

Who: Any current or potential member of KyMBA that is interested in regionally specific advocacy and energy.

Why: To maintain and improve existing mountain biking opportunities and to expand and create new mountain biking opportunities in Eastern Kentucky.

Please RSVP to ascentionist at yahoo dot com

Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump

This coming Saturday...

Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last bump. Here's a link to the agenda and some additional information: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w8s2y0d3hemw3e4/5g_sVPW_y9/Recreation/KYMBA/Apr%20Mtg%20Agenda.docx

Last edited by Ascentionist on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to me you have enough places to ride already without creating more trails
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be true if all the places on the list were in great condition and had no access issues. But that's simply not the case.

Despite the seemingly long list there really aren't that many quality mountain bike trails in Kentucky. Kentucky mountain bikers have to settle for poor quality/conditioned trails with continuous user conflicts. This new chapter will hopefully turn that around.

And it seems by your own arguments that we need more trails: "Bikes, horses and hikers should not share any trail as it causes problems."

From: http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=912&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I do disagree with you though, but still think we need more sustainable trails for everyone.

Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep and I still stand by my statement. You have enough trails without the need to get on trails that hikers are on.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hope is that we can focus this new chapter on helping open trails in the London District of the DBNF that have for many years now been closed due to lack of maintenance. There are many loop trails of 3 to 5 miles in length that might be opened for hiker and bikers - most likely more bikers and would not be a point of contention. These are existing trails that the Forest Service would appreciate the help in reopening.

Thanks for holding the meeting, being open to some specific suggestions from the STA. We look forward to collaborating with KYMBA in the Boone to facilitate your trail needs on the existing system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: