Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prescribed burns in BSF
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blk3fan
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Prescribed burns in BSF Reply with quote

I'm planning to hike through Big South Fork from Pickett heading North. I've tried contacting Bandy Creek Visitor Center several times and no one seems to know anything about the burns or they transfer my call to a phone that is never answered. Does anyone know if the ST will be closed at all between the 18th and 23rd?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have received no notice of prescribed burns on or near the Sheltowee in the Big South Fork. Weather conditions dictate burns - not to dry not to wet etc..... You can check our Facebook page, here, or our webpage to see if we have received notice before you go. Enjoy. Big South Fork is a hidden backpacking location.

Here is a link to the Trace in the Big South Fork
http://discoverscott.com/news/2013/sheltowee-trace-comes-to-oneida

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Blk3fan
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of time constraints, I'll be starting at the old terminus in Pickett. I have the manual and map of the southern half of the trace. I should have plenty of daylight when I start. Will I have any problems and is the trail blazed well? Never been in BSF and a little nervous about it.
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your safety: Prescribed burns planned in BSF

Thursday, March 14, 2013
ONEIDA, Tenn. — National Park Service fire crews will be conducting a series of prescribed fires within the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area over the next few days, the park announced this morning.

The prescribed fires, as defined in the BSF's Fire Management Plan, will occur at locations in both Kentucky and Tennessee, all within the boundaries of the park.

The Mitchell Fields project is located on Duncan Hollow Road behind the Bandy Creek Campground in Tennessee, while the Monroe Fields and Newtie King projects are located near the Bear Creek Horse Camp in Kentucky.... http://discoverscott.com/news/2013/prescribed-burns-bsf

Captain Blue
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part the ST is well signed and blazed in Big South Fork. I did not have any problems when I hiked thru last May. The best advice I can give you is to follow along in TABA's guide closely. Use it and trust it.
10-k
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hiked to the new terminus but the trail was well blazed all the way from Hwy 27 at Whitley City through Big South Fork.

If you're going north and have the guide you shouldn't have any trouble at all.
Blk3fan
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. I'm feeling better about my chances. Any issues with high water when fording Rock Creek anywhere? Not sure what to expect.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When leaving from Pickett there are several water crossing of Rock Creek. Depends on the amount of rain in the area in the five days before you hike. Pickett Sheltowee spur is blazed. Need to be careful in first two to three miles to follow the manual and blazes.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These prescribed burn areas are not near the Trace if you are leaving from Pickett. If you were to leave and go through Bandy Creek you might see smoke but the turn off on Duncan Hollow road is well before the fire area.
Blk3fan
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, from all the info everyone has given me here, I see the burns will not be an issue. I was able to find several pictures online of folks fording Rock Creek at various places. I've decided to detour around the ford near Yamacraw bridge after reading that 10-K had water up to his belt.
10-k
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I forded Rock Creek down from Yamacraw Bridge it had rained a lot and even though it hadn't rained in 2 days water was still running high. From the looks of it if you had a period of 4-5 days without rain it wouldn't be much over knee deep.

To be exact, it is a wide crossing and at its deepest it was probably 3-4 inches below my belt but over my crotch for several feet.

The bottom is solid and the water seems to run clear so even though it was fairly deep as far as fords go I never felt like I was taking an unnecessary risk.

I thought the little boulder dance at Bark Camp Creek was more challenging.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-k you are the adventurous one. No need folks for a "bolder dance" at Bark Camp. go up on the flat area where the water pools and walk that way across. The strength of the water coming over the lip there into the pool is dimished because of the width of the pool. Most times it is less than 6 inches deep with the deepest small stretch of less than 5 feet on the south side as you come out and there are plenty of rocks to get footing.

We are hoping to finally have the high water route done this spring. The bridge is in place and all we need now is some dry weather for the Forest Service to get in and get the approach ramps to the bridge built. Then when the water is up at the downstream crossing, you can choose the upstream alternate route across the bridge. The bridge is about 15 minutes up stream from the current crossing.

If in doubt please turn around and take the short cut out of Bark Camp to the road and walk around that way to Dog Slaughter. You do not want to get sweep away down stream into boulders.

There are photos on our Facebook pages of folks on the 2012 Hiker Challenge crossing at Bark Camp Creek. Will get some posted here in the next day or so.

Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-k wrote:
I hiked to the new terminus but the trail was well blazed all the way from Hwy 27 at Whitley City through Big South Fork.

If you're going north and have the guide you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

what is that distance from Hwy 27 at Whitley City to the new southern terminus in BSF

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 55 miles.
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildust wrote:
About 55 miles.

thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: