Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused about the New Southern Terminus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Confused about the New Southern Terminus Reply with quote

So, I received my Big South Fork NG map yesterday and decided to map out the new southern terminus for my thru-hike in March. I went to this page for detailed directions on the new route:
http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/Planned_Trail_Changes.html

Nice directions that seem pretty clear. Except when I scroll to the bottom of the page they have a map and it seems the trail extends south of the Leatherwood Ford Road? I'm following the map and the solid black line extends down beyond the Leatherwood Trail Head. This seems to go against what I have read about the new location of the Southern Terminus, which according to the directions, starts at the bridge crossing the River.

Would like to verify the trail does indeed begin at the bridge.

Thanks!
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the JMT does go further south. But there is a five mile stretch that is not completed down above Honey Creek Loop. So for the moment we are stopping at Leatherwood until we can raise the money needed to build that five miles of trail which we hope to get done this year or next. then we can go all the way to Burnt Mill Bridge.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the JMT does go further south but the Sheltowee does not. Correct?

The Leatherwood Trailhead starts on the West side of the bridge and heads north is what I'm gathering.

I just want to make sure I'm not five miles shy of a thru-hike when I finish
Smile
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester you got it. Leatherwood is the southern end for the moment. Will most likely be that way at least for a year. Let us know when you head out and don't forget to register your achievement for the record on our webpage when you get it done. Looking forward to adding you to the Class of 2013.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply! We'll see if I can finish it this year. Lighter pack and lighter me...if not, I'll try it again in 2014
Outcasthiker
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: New Southern End Reply with quote

Hiked the Rock Creek Loop last weekend and got to see the new markings on the trail and the new intersection. The sign there says the new trail ends at the Charit Lodge. I went on line and saw where it follows alot of the John Muir. It does hit alot more of the popular landforms of the BSF. The only confusing area looks like around Bandy Creek.
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ends at Charit Lodge? That is not the info I'm getting at all...???
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new end point is at Leatherwood Ford in BSF. You will pass by the Charit Creek Lodge.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what signs are at Charit but the Trace ends at Leatherwood. I blazed the trail in December. The Litton Farm Loop trail is right on the road the gravel road that runs through Bandy Creek Campground across from the Swimming pool. There is a Red White and Blue NRT sign and a turtle blaze.

If anyone has trouble or needs help please give me a call.

Outcasthiker
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: New Southern End Reply with quote

I hiked the Station Camp Creek, Cherit Creek, and Black House Branch sections this weekend in the Big South Fork. The trail is marked very well. I also noticed the new section of Station Camp Creek eliminates all the creek fording that used to be on this trail. Almost too easy;)
Outcasthiker
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: New Southern End Reply with quote

The sign I was talking about was at the split on the Rock Creek trail. I didn't see any sign at the Lodge just the trail markings.
genes
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit doing the water crossings years ago. Once I crossed Station Camp Creek, about 200 yards north of the Laurel Fork bridge, I just stayed on the north side of Station Camp Creek and followed it west to Charit Creek Hostel. The numerous water crossings were a bit ridiculous unless you just wanted to get wet.

Gene
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: