Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time for the September hike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekirchner
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Time for the September hike Reply with quote

Picking up from where we finished last year, we're planning to start at Cumberland Falls State park and head north. We'll probably stop at I-75.

Seems like a natural break point, as the Wildcat area looks like a road walk for quite awhile, and limited camping. [Is this true? We'll get to this section eventually!]

Anyway, if anyone has recent info on trail conditions or other useful stuff, I'd love to hear it. We'll be using the GIS map and guidebook.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North from Cumberland Falls you will find the trail potentially overgrown north of Dog Slaughter. Then again volunteers may have gotten in there and cut the brush back. The shelters maybe a little overgrown but please go ahead and use them. If we do not use them we loose them.

North of Laurel Lake, great trail all the way to Highway 80. Great campsites in the Laurel Lake campground right off the Trace. Great campsite north of 1956 after you cross the bridge about 2 miles in.

Navigation will be an issue as you hike through Coomer Ridge area that is being reforested. As you come down the hill, go left on the road where they have barricaded the path in multiple locations with berms and downed trees. A roller coaster really but they will not let us go in and cut a path at this time so you have to just deal with it. Recommend pants and not shorts.

Stop at I-75 is a great place to be picked up or leave a vehicle. Yep it is a great road walk to Wildcat but interesting and challenging. North of Wildcat the best place to camp is over the hill at Hwy 490.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
ekirchner
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve.

I have enough problems with poison ivy and other irritants,; I always wear long pants anyway.

And, I'm sure we couldn't possible get lost! That never happens!!!!

ekirchner
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Coomer Ridge? Reply with quote

Where's the Coomer Ridge problem section you mentioned?
Captain Blue
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place is actually called Cromer Ridge not Coomer Ridge.

Cromer Ridge is the section of trail a few miles north of SR-80 and south of I-75. Expect some tough going in this section.

ekirchner
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Post- trip Reply with quote

You weren't kidding about the berms and intentional fallen tree barriers in the Cromer Ridge area. I had no idea that "reforestation project" meant "we are creating hiker hell." Berm after fallen tree after berm after intentionally placed fallen tree. Wow. Just an annoyance for me, but a huge obstacle for my wife with shorter legs and bad knees. Every downhill side of a berm, and every scramble over wet logs, is another chance for an injury. It wasn't fun, especially in the pouring rain yesterday morning.

Still, the whole trip was really great and there were very few trail issues!

We left a car at Spur Oil off exit 49 and wow, is that place great. Not only could we park free, but they have free showers ( tip encouraged) and the diner has great and inexpensive food. Cheap gas, too. I will make that my regular stop anytime I'm going down I-75.

ekirchner
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: More trip comments Reply with quote

A few more comments.

We camped right at the juncture of Daug Slaughter Creek and the Cumberland. Best site all trip. I will post photos.

Steve you were right about the trail being overgrown and prickery north of Dog Slaughter. I guess all that stuff grows very well in the sunny areas along the river.

We somehow cruised by The Star Creek shelter without noticing it! Bark camp, though, was not overgrown at all and was in great shape.

We passed a couple signs warning us that the bridge over Bark Camp Creek was out, and that the crossing was very difficult. well, it took some effort, but really wasn't bad. I can see it being quite tricky right after some rain, though.

Just after Bark Camp we decided we were ready for a ridge walk, so we took the upper trail, marked on the sign as STT Flood Route. Followed this up onto FS551, no problem. The outrageousGIS map shows a trail from FS551 going northwest. At first it's a road, then turns to trail and rejoins the STT at Fishing Creek.

I can attest that it's not true . . . The road ends in a berm and there is somewhat of a trail for awhile after, but it becomes unfollowable after a short while. We were just about to give up and turn back when I saw a blaze on a tree. Not an old painted blaze, either, but a new plastic one. Anyway that persuaded me to go a bit further but there is no trail that I could find. We ended up walking around on the roads and approaching the laurel boat ramp that way.

Later I scouted the STT south of Fishing Creek, wondering if the trail really did exist or not. I couldn't find any evidence of an opening onto the STT at that end. In fact, the huge rock bluffs along the river would make it very hard for a trail to exist there.

Cane Creek WMA was nice. The Van Hook Falls area was especially cool.

Great trail all the way north until Cromer Ridge. Gotta love suspension bridges!

Rick K

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick for the update. Yep, this fall we will have to get back in and clear trail between the shelters. Starr is a twice a year effort.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: