Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting the ST Challenge on Labor Day ..stash water ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom G
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Starting the ST Challenge on Labor Day ..stash water ?? Reply with quote

I have a group who are going to start the ST at the North Terminus on Labor Day weekend. Would it be wise to stash water?..or are the "perennial" streams shown on my mapping software (De Lorme Topo 8.0) truly perennial. Thanks..Tom
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

.....from "The Riddle of Strider", JRR Tolkien
dradius
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to cache, but it could be helpful. The beginning is lots of ridge walking. There are creeks here and there but who knows if they're flowing with the dry summer we've had... I would carry plenty with me otherwise you might be filtering out of a wildlife pond on top of the ridge. Of course cave run and morehead have good water options, but not sure how far you're going.
Tom G
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: water stashing Reply with quote

We will be hiking from the North Terminus to KY 32

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Dry Branch the first day, 10 miles there is water from a spigot just off the trail at the driveway as you cross the creek. Look to left and see bushes and water is there. Free for your use. Just turn it off.

From NT to there is no water. You will need to carry. There is some creek water to draw from at Holly fork at the swinging bridge which should get you to Rt 32.

You just need to plan on carrying what you need but it canbe done.

I assume you are the same folks looking for shuttle. How many and where are you wanting to go - park at NT and shuttle back there or park in Morehead and shuttle to N.T. ?

If I do not get back to you right away it is because we are going out on the Trace this weekend.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Tom G
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: shuttle and water Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. I am in the final stages of planning and saw the chance of the water spigot (well?) on the trailguide. Thanks for the confirmation that it is still there. Yes, NT to KY32...on the shuttle... with us parking at the destination trailhead at KY32. Hadn't made the final decision on that one yet as I need to check with my comrades on details. I think I am going to get away with only having to make one stash. Let me get back to you in a few days, and thanks again.

Tom G
Ohio Valley Backpackers + ( meetup group)

Tom G
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Shuttle needed Reply with quote

From Perkins Center, Morehead to the North Terminus trailhead. Right now it looks like 5 hikers with gear. Friday, August 31st..could be there at 6:45 pm; in order for us to hike a few miles and camp before sundown.

Tom ( 502) 762 1321 Louisville

jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw your other post about shuttle needed and replied there as well. I might be able to help with a few members in your group. I have a small car.

My recommendation would be to hike from NT to the Perkins Center. Water is available at Dry Branch road as mentioned by Traildust. You can filter or treat water from Holly Fork creek which is a few miles further. After that you are pretty much not going to have water again until you get to Morehead and back in your cars. Holly Fork Creek to Morehead is about 14 miles with some fairly strenuous hiking which for me increases the water demand.
Tom G
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Thanks for the response Reply with quote

From NT to Perkins. We are starting a group to attempt the "Challenge" but startiing on the Labor Day weekend, with the other hikes tentatively planned for the first of each month.

Please email your phone number to me : tomgrady@bellsouth.net

I'd like to talk to you tonight sometimes about the details, compensation for your service, etc.

...and again..Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: