Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Livingston to Noes boat ramp by canoe, and back on foot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlie02
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Livingston to Noes boat ramp by canoe, and back on foot Reply with quote

I was asked by someone working for the STA to write up a summary of my trip in hopes of encouraging others to do similar trips if it was successful.

Day 1: My friend and I put our 15ft plastic canoe in the Rockcastle River 7.5 miles east of Livingston, KY near the 490/89 intersection at about 3pm. We paddled until dusk and camped about 5 miles south of Livingston. Class I rapids only, 362 ft3/s

Day 2: Paddled from camp to just before the stair steps rapids. About 22 miles. Class I&II rapids only, 331 ft3/s

Day 3: Stair steps rapid to just beyond the Lower Narrows. Portaged canoe and gear around Beech Narrows. Portaged gear only past the Lower Narrows (3/4 mi) and took the canoe down the Narrows. Great fun, only one capsize but lots of scouting. About 5 miles total, but was a long day. Class I-IV? rapids, 298 ft3/s

Day 4: Lower Narrows to Mouth of the Laurel (Noes boat ramp). Had to paddle upstream on the Cumberland. Fishermen gave us a huge bass. Camped about 0.5 miles upstream on the Laurel River. Class I rapids only.

Day 5: Left canoe and some gear hidden (or so we thought) on the banks of the Laurel River. Walked about 18 miles of the trace stopping for pizza at Holly bay marina. Camped near sinking creek. Prior days of wet feet gave us weird blister after the long day of walking.

Day 6: Hiked to interstate 80 and hitch hiked to London, KY. After fast food hitched about 10 miles north towards the car and walked the rest of the way. Total walking distance was about 18 miles or more. Got to car and found that the radio was stolen, drove to near Noes boat ramp and camped just off of a forestry road.

Day 7: Hiked to canoe to find paddles stolen, everything else was OK. Drove back to Louisville

River remarks: Didn't meet a single other boat until the Cumberland. Many good places to camp, lots of poison ivy. Anticipate lots of time for the Lower Narrows if unfamiliar because the scouting is involved.

Trail Remarks: Didn't meet a single other hiker. Multiple blazes had been stolen but I didn't note where. Easy camping, trail was in good condition overall. Hard to hitch hike, beards probably didn't help. Would recommend taking 3 days, I am still recovering from blisters and sore muscles. Trail was not very rugged but distances we taxing.

Overall: Great trip, wish people wouldn't steal so much but that is the cost of the adventure I guess. In hindsight, I would have Paddled from Livingston and left the car in town. Next time I would lock the paddles up as well as the canoe but not sure how yet.

Would be happy to answer any questions.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. Helpful. Sorry for the loss of radio and paddles. Yep we know we are seeing blazes disappear and we plan to replace with painted in these places.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: