Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Section hike from NT to Morehead (KY-32) trip summary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oxidane
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Section hike from NT to Morehead (KY-32) trip summary Reply with quote

Three of us completed the seciton from the NT to KY-32 this weekend. (also opening weekend for Turkey season) We started Thurdsay evening at dusk from the Northern Terminus and hiked in about 1.5 miles and set up camp for the night. The trail wasn't bad but we had a hard time finding an established campsite. We made as small a footprint as possible that evening but found a nice spot the next morning at about 2.5 miles in +/-.
On Friday we hiked another 6.8 miles and found a nice place to camp adjacent to some private property that had been cleared. Weather was great.
On Saturday we made it to Dry Branch and resupplied our water. Shortly after that it began to rain and made for some less than enjoyable hiking. With wet feet and about 9 miles total for the day we stopped to camp off of logging road 977. One of our party nursed some blisters and we settled in for a windy but pleasent evening. Quite a bit of that day was spent on 977, not terribly interesting but made good time.
On Sunday we pushed another 10.2 miles to finish out our trip. We were beaten, bruised, and blistered but alive. On this final section there was a cleared dirt road that brought us to a split with a trail marker with arrows pointing left and right. We took the left split and 3/4 of a mile later found ourselves without a trail in the middle of nowhere. We hiked back the 3/4 of a mile to the split and proceeded to ride the land roller coaster to KY-32. When they say alot of ups and downs in that last leg, that is not a joke. Better blazing is highly recommended at the split metioned above. Overall great trip and glad we did it. Looking forward to another section next year.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The split you mentioned--is that the Martin Fork trail? How close is the split to KY 32?
stoicjohn
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a quick 3 miles in and out from the NT this weekend (5/7/12) and there was a doozy of a poison ivy draped tree across the path close to the start.

My first thought was to turn back Confused I'm getting soft
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That area is always packed with poison ivy. I wish we could come up with a plan to erdicate it. Poison ivy is the main reason I don't hike in the late spring and summer months.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. We will get some volunteers out - not allergic to posion ivy- and get it cleared tomorrow. Thanks for the report. We appreciate all reports.

traildust

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that poison ivy doesn't tolerate abuse very well meaning that constant heavy foot traffic or closely spaced regular cutting back will keep it down and eventually kill it off. The problem is being able to go out every two weeks and cut it back repeatedly from early spring through to mid summer at least. Once it is cut back there needs to be a lot of regular use to keep it killed off.

Just talking about poison ivy gives me the heebie jeebies Sad
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what we use if we get around poison ivy or oak. It is a great product. We even carry a small amount on the trail with us if we are going to be out for a few days

Remove irritants from your skin that could turn into itchy problems. Use Tecnu® Original Outdoor Skin Cleanser after you have been outdoors to remove the rash causing oil, urushiol (oo-roo-she-all) from poison ivy, oak and sumac.

jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of that product but never found anyone who had used it. I'm really curious about how well it works, or not. What are your thoughts?

If it was up to me, we would travel the length of the Sheltowee Trace in a vehicle equipped with a water cannon and spray the entire thing with Round-up for poison ivy mixed double or triple strength Smile
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gf is highly allergic to poison ivy and has had to get prescription meds before to combat it. This stuff works great on her and me.

I would recommend it. All I can go by is that it works for us

jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you buy it locally or via the internet?
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

locally in Nashville. Can't remember if she got it at a Walgreens or a CVS drug store
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ewker for the recommendation. My Karen is also not a fan of ivy. I will post to our network to let folks know.

steve

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
genes
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who are very sensitive to Poison Ivy, do some research on Jewelweed. It is a natural poison ivy remedy and grows almost everywhere in this region of the US. It grows wild in the RRG, BSF, ST and can be found growing right now in most shady areas. I have been using it for years. It appears to work for me.

Gene
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read about jewelweed and understand that the Native Americans used it. Have not really heard of anyone using it in modern times until the tv show Dual Survival was filmed here in KY. The barefooted guy used it IIRC, but I didn't know if it worked for him of not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: