Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ticks on the Trace!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNSTARS
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Ticks on the Trace! Reply with quote

I participated in the challenge hike in March and it appeared that everyone picked up ticks on the trail, except me. I pretreated my clothes with permethrin and it was effective in keeping the ticks and chiggers at bay.

Here's a youtube link to the product I used, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwBeZIZFwzc

I found this product at the Walmart camping department for a reasonable price but I'm sure there are other vendors with similar products so do your research too. One big caveat is that the active ingredient is potentially lethal to Cats and Fish when its first applied.

If you're worried about the ticks on the trail, give this a try, it worked for me.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. Please folks if you are heading to the Sheltowee Trace or any part of the DBNF, treat for ticks. I had over 10 when I sectioned with the STA in early March and even got two the other day when walking less than a mile in the woods down in the Heidelberg area.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
MuddyBoots
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNSTARS

My wife and I were on the ST this weekend in Pickett State Park. Following your suggestion, we treated our boots, packs and clothes with permethrin a couple of days before the hike. We still flicked two or three crawling ticks off our pants and my wife had one latch onto her. Who knows what we would have experienced without it. So not sure if it helped or not. But at least it made us feel a little less helpless over those vile creatures! <smile>

By the way, I flicked off at least 10 ticks and had four bites on the March hike without using any repellent. So I was much relieved with this weekends results.

Thanks for posting the suggestion!
CNSTARS
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuddyBoots,

I'm sure as the summer months come we'll see more of the little pests. For extra protection I'm going to bring some deet along on the April challenge hike to apply on exposed skin. I'm interested to see how long the treatment stays effective having washed my clothes once already; they claim it lasts up to 6 weeks or up to 6 washings. Hopefully I can go all year without getting bit, we'll see...
JC
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through the advice of this thread I treated my clothes for the first time before hiking for a 4 day stretch and got good results. As a comparison while staying 2 nights and hiking around Pickett State Park without treated clothes I found 1 on me and my son got a total of 3. After treating our clothes and heading out we picked up a combined total of 1 after the four days and that was on my lower leg after converting the pants to shorts.
First time I've ever used this product and I think it did help. Thanks for the advice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: