Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question: Pickett SP and BSF permit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JC
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Question: Pickett SP and BSF permit Reply with quote

Planning on hiking around the Southern Terminus for the first time and have a couple of questions maybe someone can help me with.

First the "reroute" in Pickett State park, is it legit -- should I follow the moved blazes or trust my gps and trail guide/map? An earlier post implied the "reroute" led nowhere and Traildust mentioned it but didn't really clairfy other than to hike it in daylight.

Second the Big South Fork backcountry permit -- I filled out the form online and paid the $5 but didn't really get a printout of anything other than payment confirmation. Should there be an actual printout of a permit or just this reciept?

Thanks for any help, really looking forward to exploring the southern end of the Sheltowee Trace!
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the questions.

1. Please try and get to Pickett if possible when the park office is open and ask them what is going on with the Sheltowee. Take your map, guidebook and maybe the BSF map of the area for back up.

2. The receipt should be all you need. Unlikely you will even see anyone out checking. Thanks for taking the time to get the permit.

Sorry I can't be more help. Let us know please how it goes.

traildust

Steve Barbour
Executive Director, The STA

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
ekirchner
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Pickett and BSF Reply with quote

We paid the $5 last Sept and carefully kept the receipt . . . dry even . . . and then saw no one at all on the trail.

As for trail detour in Pickett, I can't help you there. I didn't recall any question as to the route, but it was Day 1 and raining and maybe we were just oblivious.

JC
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update, I hiked through Pickett this past weekend and didn't have any problems at all with the trail. I've never hiked this area before so I'm not 100% sure there was not a new detour -- it would have been very small if any at all as it seemed to follow the map and guide book. The trail was well blazed and signs were there.

A very enjoyable hike!
MuddyBoots
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with JC.

I hiked the Pickett scetion of the ST in January when the reroute was in place. I also hiked it this weekend and the Park Service has cleared the major blow downs that were present on part of the trail that was the reason for the reroute. I confirmed in my hike this weekend that the Pickett section of the ST is now properly routed and blazed following the guide book and the southern map set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: