Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trip Report: Lamero to S Tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flatfeet
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Trip Report: Lamero to S Tree Reply with quote

Myself and two friends hiked the 13 miles from Lamero to S Tree Saturday March 3rd. We had day packs and set out with plans to alternate between trail running and hiking. This was my first time on this section and I had read about the challenging ford of Horse Lick Creek. Well maybe attempting this section the morning after tornados and storms hit KY wasn't the greatest of ideas. I used a combination of the Ward ST Guide, the OutrageGIS map, and Accuterra on my iphone for navigation.

It was easy for the first six miles (3 on Hwy 89, 1 on White Oak Branch Rd, and 2 on FR-455) Then came the spot where we were supposed to ford. There was a vinyl sign pointing towards the creek Based on what I can tell we were at mile 129.39 on the Ward Guide. The water looked to be at least chest deep and was moving very fast. We looked up and downstream for places to cross, but nothing looked safe. Picture 001. My inner Bear Grylls was begging me to attempt the crossing, but luckily my head talked me out of it (and my friends' common sense). We decided to make our way up Horse Lick on the western bank until we found a better place to cross. Some of the time we were bushwhacking and some of the time we were on old (very old) roads. We passed two former structures with only the stone chimneys remaning.

We hit Daughtery Ridge Rd which had a reasonable looking ford. Picture 002. I decided to put on my sandals, grabbed a stick and attempted to cross. The water was just above my knees and moving very fast. I was able to make it just past halfway. The current increased and I almost lost my footing. I looked back to my friends who were motioning me to come back. So I decided it was not in our best interest to try to cross here.

We continued up the western bank of Horse Lick Creek through briar fields, some woods, some old roads, and more briar fields. Finally we came to another ford at what would be mile 129 on the OurageGIS map. The map looks like the Sheltowee crosses here to come to the side we were stuck on, but I saw no blazes. And the Ward Guide doesn't mention any more Horse Lick fords. The creek still looked pretty mean so we stayed on the western (now northern) bank, found another old road (Dry Fork Road?) and proceeded east. One of my friends was a Jackson Co native and he reconized where we were. The road approached Horse Lick at another ford. There were intepretive signs about the freshwater mussels in the creek, AND a vinyl Sheltowee sign. The creek still looked mean, but we knew we had to cross here.

With the assitance of a large stick I was able to make it across first. The water was just above my waist and still had a strong current. I was able to make it without swimming, but my friend behind me wasn't so lucky. He started to lose his footing about half way across and decided to take control and swim the rest. He was forced about 10-15 feet down stream but was quickly able to get his footing again. I didn't experience it, but I'm sure there is nothing like swimming in a fast moving creek when its 45 degrees outside. Picture 003 shows the creek right after we crossed.

Luckily we were close to the car at S Tree and had some energy left to jog a bit. There was still two small fords of Racoon creek, but at that point our shoes were soaked and we didn't care.

We ended up doing 15.5 miles instead of the planned 13 and my arms and legs are cut up from the briars.

So to Traildust and others, if I may make a suggestion this section needs more blazes, and in the correct places. After re-reading Rootman's post about this section, I'm still not sure where the Sheltowee crosses Horse Lick and how many times. I'm sure suspension bridges are not cheap. Is it possible to maybe get a cable tied across the creek for the challenging fords? I acknowledge that the water was extremely high (over 14 feet at the Billows gage compared to 4.5 when Rootman crossed). I plan on attemping this section again to see how high the water is under normal conditions.
rootman
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Horse Lick Crossing Reply with quote

Wow! You guys are brave. I'm not sure I would have taken on a crossing at those water levels. Excellent report. I recall crossing Horse Lick Creek about three times when we did that section on Feb 19th. The water was just a few inches above our ankles at the crossing shown in your photo number 3. We camped on the other side (we were southbound) about a mile upstream from where you first encountered the creek on Forest Road 455. The camp might have been very near the crossing you attempted in your photo number 2. If you had made it across you would have seen two old vinyl ST markers about 100 yards up the trail -- a source of confusion for us because this was not the proper crossing. This area definitely needs more evaluation and trail markers. Fortunately you missed seeing all the trail damage north of S Tree.

Last edited by rootman on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. Glad you got through it o.k. Yes, when the weather improves we will get more blazes in this area and correctly mark the crossing. Yep bridges are expensive but hey we can ask and maybe in a couple years it can happen.

Please to others, you might not be so lucky so please let the water go down all along the Trace before going out.

Thanks.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creek skills!! Stylin' photo Flatfeet.

Disclaimer: Don't try this at home kids. (But if your house has a creek running through it...go ahead and ford.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: