Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Etrex Vista HCx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> GPS Track and Waypoint Files
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Garmin Etrex Vista HCx Reply with quote

Thinking about breaking down and finally getting a GPS. I saw where a few folks had mentioned this one for a beginner.

I know nothing about them so just wondering who has or had it and what your thoughts were on it

Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Etrex Vista HCx Reply with quote

Ewker wrote:
Thinking about breaking down and finally getting a GPS. I saw where a few folks had mentioned this one for a beginner.

I know nothing about them so just wondering who has or had it and what your thoughts were on it

Bump Very Happy

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stand by for news. working on an answer because I am interested in the same issue.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewker,

Got a couple response from the Facebook page for you......

One response said, "That is the GPS that I have, and it works well for me. I can't remember what the model below this one was at the time I purchased it, but knowing what I know now I would have saved a few dollars and bought that one. Some of the features I bought the Vista HCx to get, like the altimeter turned out to not be as useful (or accurate) as I had hoped. "

Another said, "Garmin GPSMAP 62 series would be my choice. It's big, it's heavy, it can do everything you need it to do. I have an Etrex and love it. There also appears to be a new smaller Etrex model that might be interesting."

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks traildust I appreciate the comments.

In the meantime I know a guy who is selling the garmin gpsmap 60CSx at a steal so I am looking into it.

I think the 62 series the other person mentioned is the next inline after the 60 series.

how quick do this things get discontinued..lol

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome. I am going to have to get something to GPS the reopening of the Jenny wiley trail. Maps are going to have to be prepared. I know nothing about GPS but they tell me I can learn pretty easy.
10-k
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear by my Garmin Oregon 450.

It's easy to learn the basics in a weekend but you can spend weeks/months learning all the things they'll do.

The basics is enough for most everyone - following a trail, finding something using a waypoint, setting a starting point that you can navigate back to, etc. can be mastered quickly.

For trails, I think Garmin probably has more going for it. The older models, such as the eTrex Vista, have smaller screens than the newer models and if you've used both you know the value of a larger screen.

Also - always use lithium batteries. Regular alkaline batteries don't last very long at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> GPS Track and Waypoint Files All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: