Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiking with my son

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orclwzrd
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Hiking with my son Reply with quote

Planning a backpacking trip with my son. We aren't newbies nor are we grizzled veterans. He will be graduating high school this year and we need one good backpack trip before I lose him to college and adult life. We are in the Chicago area which is in a backpacking desert. We are looking at possibly Land between the Lakes North/South trail just south of Paducah or Sheltowee Trace just east of Lexington, Kentucky. We are looking at a hike of most of a week. We anticipate in the neighborhood of 15 miles a day. We aren't in a hurry nor do we want grass to grow under our feet. A fairly wild trail with camp anywhere type regs is what we would prefer. I'd love some feed back on Land between the Lakes and Sheltowee Trace. Suggestions of other trails are also welcome.

John
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding the north south trail, which I used to live near but never hiked, there was an ice storm there in 2009 which apparently resulted in some areas being closed. I couldn't find anything on the internet that indicates that any trail blockages have been cleared. I also could't, on a cursory search, find any suggestion of trail crews or organizations that take of the trail. I have two brothers who still live in the area and camp regularly in LBL. I will see if they can get any more info. At the very least I would suggest you make a few phone calls to LBL to verify this info.

Regarding the Sheltowee Trace, we did have some significant ice storm damage some years ago but there has been a very strong effort by the Sheltowee Trace Association to open, clear and mark the trail since then. We are actively working with the Forest Service to maintain and improve the condition of the trail. As a group we can definitely steer you to a section of our 270 mile trail that would suit your needs.

From what I can tell the north south trail would bee fairly easy for its entire length of around 60 miles. The Sheltowee can range from easy to challenging to strenuous. There are natural arches that can be seen from the trail in some places or there are side trail that go to these arches.

Neither trail is crowded based on what I have experienced on the Sheltowee and read about the north south trail.

If you read the thru hiker journals on this website please be mind of the dates. Much has been done to correct the issues these hikers faced and there is monthly on going work on the trail to make it better.

Finally, as chairman of the board of directors for the Sheltowee Trace Association, I would like to say that we would love to have you hike our trail.
rootman
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Trip Recommendation Reply with quote

If you want a decent trip that will do a big loop back to your car, get a National Geographic Trails Illustrated map of the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. Trails are well established but wild enough to keep you away from people, especially in mid-week. You could even incorporate a night at Charit Creek Lodge -- not a fancy place but an opportunity to enjoy a shower, bed and meals in mid-trip. It has no electricity or running water in the cabins themselves. You'll need a reservation but weekdays are usually easy to get (see their website). The old coal town of Blue Heron (now a unique "museum") is along the trail and could be visited as well. I love the Sheltowee Trace but just wanted to toss out another option that I have enjoyed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: