Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm doing it! (Thru-Hiking the ST)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: I'm doing it! (Thru-Hiking the ST) Reply with quote

In a few weeks, I'll start in the southern terminus and start heading north. If all goes as planned, I'll end up in the northern terminus in about 23 or so days...give or take. I have a few questions:

1. The ST thru-hikers guide book says to plan on 10 miles a day. Is this because of the rough terrain? I live in the RRG area and have been training on the trails with my dog (who will be joining me in permitted areas) and we average more than 10 miles even on these short winter days. How does the terrain in the Red compare to the rest of the trail?

2. Speaking of my dog, is the Natural Bridge State Park the only area that does not allow dogs? I have plans for him to be picked up while I hike thru the park only to reunite with him at Miguels.

3. I have gotten a back country permit for the Big South Fork (thanks, Traildust for that notice). Are there any other areas that need special permits?

4. Are the camping areas mentioned in the thru-hikers guide book the only campsites? I'm planning my stopping points and sometimes I'm either many miles short or many miles past a campsite. I would prefer the low-impact approach by only using existing sites. I'm wondering if I'm taking the guide book too literally when it comes to the campsites.

5. Also, another user had posted in his thru-hike journal that he had come across a dog (I think he was walking past the dogs house?). Is this common on trail? While my dog does get along with other dogs, I'm not sure how other dogs feel my dog when they are protecting their home.

Thanks for any other advice you can give!

This is my first thru-hike and my dog and I have been hiking/training for months to prepare. I just wanna make sure I have all the logistics figured out, too!

I'll be leaving from the Southern Terminus and hike for four days.
My first rest day is near Whitley City (I have a friend picking me up on the trail at Flat Rock).
My second rest day will be on the second London exit (friend picking me up there as well).
From London, I will hike 5 days (with a supply pick up at the Avril Post Office) and end up at Lago Linda's where a friend will pick up my pack and dog. The sixth day on the trail will be a slackpack hike to Miguels to meet up with friends and family for dinner and then back to my place down the road for a much needed rest day.
I'll then slackpack from Whittleton Campground to Frenchburg (one or two days depending on how strong I am at this point) and take another rest day after this.
Finally, I'll put the pack back on and planning on five days from Frenchburg to the Northern Terminus.

Does that agenda sound even remotely possible?
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester you may well be able to go more than 10 miles per day. Camping is pretty much were you can find it however be aware that there are sections of the trail pass through private property so it would be best to ask permission of the land owner if at all possible. Especially on private property it is best to follow the Leave No Trace philosophy.

We are encouraging people to hang their food stuffs thoughout the Sheltowee Trace Trail but especially so in the southern half of the trail at this time. From recent work on sections of the Sheltowee Trace north of Morehead you should have no trouble finding water if you have the ability to pump or treat water. Creeks that are usually dry seem to have plenty of water in them due to last years record rainfall in the area.

From what I know of the rtail it will be fairly common to pass properties with dogs. Some are in pens or tied but some will be loose.

I am very much looking forward to you thru hike report in the thru hiker section of this forum.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you may want to contact Traildust before your trip begins and review the thru hikers guide with him. There have been some changes and edits that need to be up dated.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm doing it! (Thru-Hiking the ST) Reply with quote

chester wrote:
In a few weeks, I'll start in the southern terminus and start heading north. If all goes as planned, I'll end up in the northern terminus in about 23 or so days...give or take. I have a few questions:

1. The ST thru-hikers guide book says to plan on 10 miles a day. Is this because of the rough terrain? I live in the RRG area and have been training on the trails with my dog (who will be joining me in permitted areas) and we average more than 10 miles even on these short winter days. How does the terrain in the Red compare to the rest of the trail?

If you are a regular hiker you will have no problem doing 12 to 15 miles if you like. The issue will be weather and daylight. The RRG is typical of many sections of the trail until you get North of Clifty Wilderness then it is a few climbs and mostly ridge walking.

2. Speaking of my dog, is the Natural Bridge State Park the only area that does not allow dogs? I have plans for him to be picked up while I hike thru the park only to reunite with him at Miguels.

Dogs - If you go through the Park on a weekday this time of year you are not likely to have anyone say anything about your dog. NBSP is the only area where you can't take dogs on the trail up to the bridge. You seem to have a plan.

3. I have gotten a back country permit for the Big South Fork (thanks, Traildust for that notice). Are there any other areas that need special permits? Pickett SP requires one especially if you are leaving a vehicle at the Southern Terminus.

4. Are the camping areas mentioned in the thru-hikers guide book the only campsites? I'm planning my stopping points and sometimes I'm either many miles short or many miles past a campsite. I would prefer the low-impact approach by only using existing sites. I'm wondering if I'm taking the guide book too literally when it comes to the campsites.

As JBD says, camping is pretty much where you want. Yep for sure hang your food especially in BSF and Cumberland Falls areas. Large and growing bear population there. Most of the sites in the guidebook are just flat spots. Make sure you have plenty of water before you leave Rock Creek up to Peter's Mountain Trailhead. Nice place to camp but no water.

5. Also, another user had posted in his thru-hike journal that he had come across a dog (I think he was walking past the dogs house?). Is this common on trail? While my dog does get along with other dogs, I'm not sure how other dogs feel my dog when they are protecting their home.

Dogs are not an issue generally. You most likely will have some barking friends when you do the road walks past folks homes. Just make sure you leash your dog while on the roads and you will be fine.

Thanks for any other advice you can give!

This is my first thru-hike and my dog and I have been hiking/training for months to prepare. I just wanna make sure I have all the logistics figured out, too!

I'll be leaving from the Southern Terminus and hike for four days.
My first rest day is near Whitley City (I have a friend picking me up on the trail at Flat Rock).
My second rest day will be on the second London exit (friend picking me up there as well).
From London, I will hike 5 days (with a supply pick up at the Avril Post Office) and end up at Lago Linda's where a friend will pick up my pack and dog. The sixth day on the trail will be a slackpack hike to Miguels to meet up with friends and family for dinner and then back to my place down the road for a much needed rest day.
I'll then slackpack from Whittleton Campground to Frenchburg (one or two days depending on how strong I am at this point) and take another rest day after this.
Finally, I'll put the pack back on and planning on five days from Frenchburg to the Northern Terminus.

Does that agenda sound even remotely possible?
Yes it does sound like a solid plan. Just keep an eye on the weather. I encourage you to sleep in Cotton Patch Shelter North end of BSF and try the shelter at Starr Creek or Bark Camp Creek. If you get to Bark Camp Creek and the water is to high to cross, go up stream, a short steep climb and follow the creek up to the top where there is a bridge in place. Then come down the other side of the creek on the existing trail and you will come back to the bottom and head north on the Sheltowee Trace.

If we can be of assistance please let us know.

Traildust
steve barbour
executive director
The STA

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Calh319
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester, when are you starting? I am coming to Ky to do the Feb. challenge.
I would love to start at the beginning and meet the guys at Beech Grove Rd on Saturday morning the 25th of Feb.
If you want to start on the 22nd or 23rd I would love start with you.
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all who took the time to post some great advice on here. I am adding it to my notes in my guide book.

Calh319, I am leaving on Monday, February 27th from the South. I wish I could do a couple days earlier but my schedule won't allow it.

Was a little worried when I woke up to snow in the Gorge this morning...for some reason I thought the cold weather was gone for the season. Confused

Maybe winter is just beginning...if so this is going to be an interesting thru hike!
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I took my dog to the vet today for his yearly shots and exam and the vet gave him a clean bill of health and his blessing for the thru-hike.

He did mention to keep some dog aspirin on hand for those days when Martin seems a little sore. I also plan on including some dog medicine for giardia in my first aid kit...a powder you can mix with their food.

I was planning on freeze dried food for him (to help reduce pack weight) but it's so expensive. I think I'll just reserve the freeze dried to his snacks.

I hope to see some of you on the trail!!
Calh319
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester,

Where are you coming from to start at Pickett?
I will be finishing my section hike with the group on Sunday around HWY 27
(see the forum for the trip)
If we could hook up I would go to Pickett with you and hike up to Beech Grove Rd.
That would give you some company for the first couple of days.

Just let me know before you start. I will be in Ky the 23rd or 24th.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester, head of the class of 2012.
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calh319,
As of right now, I am not sure of my plans are for Sunday. I am getting dropped off in Pickett either early Monday morning or staying at a hotel Sunday night. It depends on the person who has volunteered to take me to the trailhead and his schedule. As soon as I know something more definite, I'll let you know. I'd be more than happy to have someone to hike with the first couple of days, though.

This week I've been working on getting my backpack down to 15 pounds base weight and it's down to 17 right now. To make up for the difference, I'm planning on using freeze dried and powders. Was considering getting an Application for GPS for my iphone instead of carrying my GPS. Does anyone have any experience with these iphone applications?

How many liters of water? I plan on resupplying as often as needed/possible.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really subjective when it comes to water. I have found I need close to 1.5 gallons per day and in some instances more than that. Others I know can get by on half that amount or less. How much I actually carry depends on what I expect replenishment opporotunities to be. If they are slim I carry more if not all of what I need for the day. If there are plenty of places to replenish I carry 3 liters and refill as the day passes.
rootman
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Mileage Reply with quote

I don't think you will have any trouble doing 10 miles a day, especially in the northern sections where there is a lot of road walking on asphalt and forest service roads. We're going out next weekend and planning on three 10 mile days (Turkey Foot to Lamero). And we are a couple of geezers! Enjoy.
Calh319
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester, keep in touch and we can hook up and I will hike Monday and Tuesday with you. I will check on a shuttle Pickett and a place to park my car when I finish hiking.
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calh319,
That sounds like a plan! We can do some more planning with the pick-up at the trail days and possible drop off for your car. How far is the planned trail days ending from the southern terminus? We are coming in from 75 north and it might be easier for us to pick you up on the way down.

I have become obsessed with weight. A few weeks ago I purchased a scale and I'm weighing everything. I've replaced my Mountain Hardware Jacket with a new, lighter version just to save 20 ounces. It will also serve as a pillow or dog sleeping bag. I've been mercilessly weighing and contemplating and reweighing and recontemplating every single item in my pack. I've been cutting off tags and cords and removing lablels trying to make up for the fact that I'm carrying a comfortable sleeping pad and bag (in addition to Martin's dog food).

Thanks for all of the great advice on here! Any input on here is appreciated.
Calh319
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester,

I am 6'2, 225 and am not so concerned with pack weight as you are.
I have hiked about 340 miles of the AT so far since 2009 in section hikes as long as 2 weeks at a time. I have found that a good sleeping system is the best and worth it's weight.
When I have my pack loaded I will weigh it an let you know how much it is with food and water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: