Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holly Fork Section

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Holly Fork Section Reply with quote

Some news for you here on the ST at Holly Fork to Big Perry Rd section. Members of the Ridge Runner Trail Crew of the STA met yesterday with the District Ranger at Holly Fork to discuss the trails condition in whats called the Big Brown.

In this area, users cross the stream or tributaries coming down the hill into the stream about 6 times. Several of these crossings required the user to sit down and jump into the creek and then scramble out.

With a grant from the State through the KHC we will be able to bridge several of these crossings, giving the user a safer journey along the Sheltowee Trace.

We anticipate that the Ridge Runner Trail Crew of the STA will need your help for Trail Days in June of 2012.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just add one more item to this topic. While walking out to the trail from the swinging bridge, we found two trail markers along the tree line as your skirt the edge of the farm field. We also found where the trail originally went across the creek.

So, in a few weeks, we hope to get the Ridge Runner Trial Crew out in this section cutting down a few weeds, shaving off some low hanging trees branches and reblazing this section back to its original route.

Stay tuned here or on our Facebook pages for details.

If you do not receive our the STA E-Newsletter let us know by sending your email to

director@sheltoweetrace.org

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be good to get the trail out of the middle of that field. I volunteer to take that on.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute, which swinging bridge?
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me...swinging bridge...you are evidently not referring to the Triplett bridge. I volunteer for this one also, and I'm bringing paint so I can paint the cross bar on top of that bridge so it can be spotted in the trees in the summer. I don't want to leave no trace on that thing. By the way the same situation exists at Triplett. The trail isn't supposed to wander through that field either. Its a bitch to clear.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeanme there is a swinging bridge, similar to the one at Triplett Creek, just south of Holly Fork rd. In the summer it is hidden from view by a corn crop. As Steve noted the trail goes to the right when you come off the bridge(heading south) follows around the edge of the hay field and then back into the woods. The trail has been re-routed from the original trail probably due to a blow down and IMO local use for atv's.

The area we need to clear isn't much more than 100 yds give or take a little.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I finally figured out which bridge, it took me a bit of thinking and that's where my problems usually begin. I'm familiar with the bridge you're talking about and heading north its nearly impossible to spot from across that big field. I remember the old route and I think its absolutely necessary to mark the route around the field. I'd be up for helping on that project if its sometime soon.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are hoping to get that section cleaned up this month(February) Stay tuned for date and time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: