Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horseback Riding the ST

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hillbilly Wanderer2
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Horseback Riding the ST Reply with quote

I have been wanting to do some type of long distance ride on horses for some time and looking to get started this year. Have read several posts on this forum and looking foward to the trail guide due out 2012. Plan on just hitting different sections throughout the year with a long term goal of riding start to finish. I realize sections will have to reroute but thats why im here. If anybody else is interested just let me know. Look foward to meeting people and being a member of the ST community. Considering the ST Challange, however feel I am way to inexperienced for that at this time.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HW2,
I don't know all the ins and outs of horse back riding the Sheltowee Trace but hiking some portions of the Sheltowee Trace via participation in the Challenge might give you a better idea of what you will need to do to accomplish your horse trek of the Sheltowee. It might enhance your camping skills in prepartion for your horse trekking adventure if you don't have much camping experience.

I've not really thought of the logistics of horse trekking so I'm not too sure sure how backpack camping would play into the horse trekking experience. How would you deal with food and water for the horse over a several day trek if that is your plan?
Hillbilly Wanderer2
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar in some aspects of the long distance riding/camping deal. If you have pack animal, more room for more stuff, however more to take care of as well. Weight will be issue for traveling light and longer distances. Hiking really interests me and plan to do some hiking to better my knowledge and skills along the trail. Life gets in the way, very busy schedule, little free time, too many hobbies. Get it in where I can. Hoping to meet people that can help me in figuring out routes to get around the trails that are closed to horses. Can travel main roads but only if I had too. Like to stay in woods as much as possible. Very eager to help out with the ST, volunteering where I can and hopefully establish a horse trail from start to finish for others to enjoy. Not many long distance trails for horse people out there. Thanks for your reply.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a small group of horsemen who plan on attempting a end to end ride of the Sheltowee Trace in the spring. The leader is Dr. Bob Coleman of Lexington. He has a a stable called Smokey Valley in Carter Co. Years ago he rode the Jenny Wiley Trail on horseback. He is the reason we are doing the guide which will have the work arounds.

For the record, the state parks are the only areas off limits to horses. There are, however, many places on the Sheltowee Trace that are not advantageous to horsemen. These reroutes etc will be in the book.

traildust

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildust wrote:
For the record, the state parks are the only areas off limits to horses.
traildust

What about the trail that passes through private property?
Hillbilly Wanderer2
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be the plan for all areas where horses are not allowed. Im sure the trails are all ready there, just need to find them by talking to the local residents. Planning on hitting the trail as soon as possible, will ride what is for sure thing then at end of horse trail talk to locals about how to get to the next section that is open to horses. Live in eastern ky so will just hit the trail at different locations keep maps and notes put it all together then do a thru ride asap. However talked with traildust other day, all this may allready be done for me before I get to finish it. If so that be great. Just want to get out there doing something I truly enjoy: camping, riding horses, and being in the woods.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbd wrote:
Traildust wrote:
For the record, the state parks are the only areas off limits to horses.
traildust

What about the trail that passes through private property?

No private land owner where the trail currently runs has posted no horses to my knowledge. Most of the landowners are absentee.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: