Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTBing Guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: MTBing Guide Reply with quote

I saw in an older forum post that someone had proposed a MTB guide for the ST. Anyone worked on this? I know there are sections you can't ride (Natural Bridge comes to mind...fascists!) and wonder how thru-bikers handle these sections.

I'm sure I could work out a viable detour route in the northern section, but I'm not terribly familiar with the route south of the KY River. And I've been out of the state for a few years and am not up to date on access status for different sections.

Any ideas?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we are working on separate guides for biking and horseback riding since as you note their are restrictions in some areas to these user groups. They should be out in 2012.

In the meantime, if you are planning a ride and we can help with mapping a route for you just let us know.

"traildust"
Steve Barbour, Executive Director, STA

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can suggest routes (or reroutes) on several sections, but I know very little about the areas south of Laurel Lake (especially south of the ky border), and not much more once I get north of Slade. We would welcome local knowledge on any sections from mtbrs concerning preferred reroutes, trail damage, and so on. It's my understanding that Pickett does not allow mtbs, so that section, and the section through Natural Bridge and RRG will contain the biggest reroutes. In my area there are several places where minimal reroutes would save much time due to hike-a-bike situations.

If you mtb the trace, post up. I have a few contacts in the BSF area that I'm going to ask about getting around Pickett in the meantime. Anyone that wants to hit the trail for a couple of days on mtbs let me know too.
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

It might be awhile before I get a chance, I live out of state now, but I always wanted to hike it. Now that I'm silly for my MTB I would probably choose to do it that way. But you never know when an opportunity might arise...

I know for sure Clifty Wilderness (RRG), Natural Bridge and as you said, Pickett, are off limits to bikes.

Anyone else know for certain MTB restrictions?
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on a possible MTB guide?

Any thoughts on a Tour Divide type race along the ST? I think it would be possible, though it could almost be done in a day by some monster cyclists out there. The Colorado Trail Race is 500 miles and people (reportedly human) do it in just over four days.

I'm seriously thinking of setting something like this up if there would be an interest. Its an individual time trial race, self supported, legal routes only.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ascentionist

Thanks for your continued interest. We are moving closer to a Mountain Bike specific type of guide with suggest reroutes around sections where it would be unwise or forbidden to ride a bike.

As to an event, the STA would be willing to work with you on some sort of mountain biking event. I have thought of two possibilities, one that would ride the entire length of the Trace over a period of one week and the other a challenge race where you have to ride so many miles in a set period of time, sort of in the mold of the ride up in Pennsylvania.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more of an Individual Time Trial like the Tour Divide, Colorado Trail Race or the Arizona Trail Race 300.

http://tourdivide.org/
http://www.climbingdreams.net/ctr/
http://www.topofusion.com/azt/race.php

The impact would be the same as if you were just bikepacking along the trail. It wouldn't be "organized" in the strictest sense. It's a web administered DIY challenge (to paraphrase the TD website).

Someone would have to set up a webpage with a leaderboard through http://trackleaders.com and administer the site each year. But otherwise there is little cost, no permitting, and no hubbub.

These types of races are growing in popularity, and despite the underground, grassroots nature, it could potentially bring in more visitors and tourist business. Of course, with numbers come problems.

As far as a timeframe, the Colorado Trail Race record, for 500 miles and 65,000+ in total gain is just over 4 days. I can imagine some monster mountain bike racer doing the Sheltowee in just over (or under!) 24 hours.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets talk about this on the phone or via email. Like the idea and want to get Paul Rose, our board member and a avid biker involved.

Steve Barbour
Executive Director, STA

director@sheltoweetrace.org

Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending you an email.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: