Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short backpack trip in Red River Gorge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kykind
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Short backpack trip in Red River Gorge Reply with quote

We did a nice 2 day trip this past weekend with me, Boots and our friend Cissell. We hiked in off of Tunnel Ridge Road at Pinch-Em-Tight Trail. We started after dark and the trail was nice and well marked. I was glad to see the familiar turtle blaze and we found a decent spot about a mile and 1/2 in.
There was plenty of wood and we built a small fire and made some pasta, and finished the last beer we hiked in with. Boots had a soda of course. We turned in early in hopes of hitting the trail at daybreak. That was wishful thinking as we were all a little worn down from the grind of the city. We broke camp ate a breakfast scramble Mountain House meal and were on the trail by 10. When the trail intersected with Rough Trail we headed toward Chimney Top. The view of Chimney Top and Half Moon from the trail were choice. I'm used to the view from the other side so it was cool to be on this side of the valley. We back tracked to an awsome spot on the ridge with nearly 360 degree views to set up camp for the night. We again had plenty of fire wood and made some beef stroganoff spinning off to hit the rack by 9:30. Back on the trail by 9:30 and back to the city. The weather was perfect and we had a really nice time. I kept Boots' pack nice and light and continued my teachings on the great outdoors. I can't tell you what it means to be able to spend time with my kids and family. When I was a chef I was never there. I'm still never there but I take them with me and I am on the trail instead of on the line. Life is good!
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you enjoying the Gorge! Lovely place and the section you picked to hike is one of my favorites in the gorge.

Another one I love is the section that crosses over 715...about a mile and half into it you hit a detour trail on the left that takes you up to Cloud Splitter...fantastic hiking and beautiful view!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: