Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take the ST Challenge in 2012
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Take the ST Challenge in 2012 Reply with quote

Here is your chance to become one of the few who have hiked the entire Sheltowee Trace. STA Adventures in 2012 will organize a one weekend a month hike of the Sheltowee, breaking the Trace down into sections. The planned sections are:

January - Southern Terminus to Yamacraw - 29.6 miles
February - Yamacraw to Cumberland Falls - 30.5 miles
March - Cumberland Falls to Billows - 39.5 miles
April - Billows to S-Tree Campground - 32.8 miles
May - S-Tree to Turkeyfoot - 19.3 miles
June - Turkeyfoot to Heidelberg - 21.0 miles
July - Ky River to Red River Gorge - 32.1 miles
August - Red River Gorge to Cave Run Lake - 38.8 miles
September - Cave Run Lake to Northern Terminus - 38.1 miles
October is make up month in case of inclement weather.
November is make up month in case of inclement weather.
December is make up month in case of inclement weather.

Exact dates for the hike are dependent on groups wishes and projected weather conditions. Individuals are responsible for food, hiking gear and transport to the trailhead and home.

For more details stay in touch with our Facebook group page and our website. To register by sending an email to director@sheltoweetrace.org.

Hike is open to anyone who believes they can handle the challenge.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
MuddyBoots
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great way to hike the whole trail, for those of us who can't spare a big block of time. Count me in!
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Muddyboots. You are number 8. Who else is in ?
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks interesting.. I will have to think about this

When will the weekends be posted for these section hikes?

Last edited by Ewker on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Dune
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildust you can count me in. This sounds like a fun way to hike with new people and complete the sheltowee all at the same time. Looking forward to January.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Dune. still room for many more adventure seekers. How about it?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewker wrote:

We will post the January date in December. Most likely one of the first two weekends in January.

Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildust wrote:
Ewker wrote:

We will post the January date in December. Most likely one of the first two weekends in January.

thanks I will keep an eye out for the dates.

jaicon
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to know about a great opportunity to become one of the few who have hiked the entire Sheltowee Trace. I have learned about all the information about this opportunity and about the planned sections. I hope the exact schedule will be out soon so that I can make sure my participation in all the sections. I am pretty sure that I can handle and complete this challenge successfully and can join the list of those who have hiked the entire Sheltowee Trace. I have the gears like canopy tent, shoes and other gears for the event. I will also share this great news with all my friends so that they too can participate if they are interested.

Last edited by jaicon on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Hillbilly Wanderer2
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: LOVE TO GO Reply with quote

New to the forum, and never really been on a real hiking trip. Got interested a few years ago about the appalachian trail, went bought all my hiking gear, never went. Life gets in the way. Really interested in doing this, fits my schedule more. Let me know what more I need to do to start making plans.
FiferBob
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: STA 2012 Challenge Reply with quote

Yes, this sounds like a great way to experience the Sheltowee Trace. I'm looking forward to it.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Challenge Reply with quote

hillbilly,

Fiferbob is a section hiker on the A.T., just recently returned from Conn A.t. section. Dovetail and I have done maybe 1000 miles in two attempts at a thru so you will fit right in.

Stay tuned. I will send out a survey email in December with dates for January hike.

PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm thinking about ya'll, but it's mostly cold thoughts! I can't decide if I'm too wimpy to hit it in January or not. I don't have a uq for my hammock rig, but I've managed to get by ok using my 40degree bag as an overbag in winter conditions.

On a related note; anyone on here have any experience using a jetboil in cold weather? I've heard that the new(er) models are better in cold than the first models.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR .... just need to prep and who knows how cold it will be in Jan. I am more worried about Feb and March.

JetBoil in cold was no problem. We had one the first year they came out and had no problem in cold weather. I prefer the simple alcohol stove in all weather it is great.

Please come on out if you got the time. Man it will be fun.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Real Info Reply with quote

Challenge Participants.....

December 1st we will start sending out info on the Challenge. If you think you are interested please send

Phone Number:

Email Address:

here or to director@sheltoweetrace.org so we can add you to the email mailing list. If you are in doubt please go ahead and send in the info so we can keep you informed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: