Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Section hike info please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kykind
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Section hike info please! Reply with quote

I am taking my 12 year old son on a section of this awesome trail in October. We have done bits and pieces of the trail in the gorge, and near Yahoo Falls in BSF, and Cane Creek area near London. We wish to do about 60 miles and would like to end up in the gorge. So do we hike north or south? Wondering if anyone could make a suggestion of where to start places to get supplies along the way, awesome camps or shelters, just anything to fuel the fire to get me out of the city! Thanks!
Kykind
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe no one has anything to say about this. Thank god for the director and his kindness.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kykind. Sure there are folks with opinions. Surprised that no one has responded but the traffic on this site slows in September, especially weekends when a lot of folks are out and about.

traildust

steve barbour

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Kykind
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply we are lucky to have such a great forum about such a great place! Exclamation [/img]
ekirchner
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: South 60 miles Reply with quote

My wife and I just got through hiking from the south end to Cumberland Falls State Park. The first 5 miles in Pickett were annoying with blowdowns and high weeds, but not impassable. The rest was generally well marked and only the occasional obstacle.

Our worst part was a steep muddy descent into Rock Creek after mile 5.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. State Park has no money for maintenance. Big South Fork has this summer had 20 temp employees do trail work so that is the difference. We thank you and are glad you had a nice hike.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Chilton
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you hike south to the gorge you would need to start in the Morehead area. Your starting point would all depend on if you wanted to skip the road walk south of Morehead (3-4 mi) or if you needed to leave a car or not. You would want to end at the pinch em tight trail head or the Whitleton Arch camp ground, stopping at pinch em tight would save you a mile or two gravel/side of road walk on the last day but you would miss the short section from the Mountain Parkway to Whitleton Campground which is very scenic and has a nice arch about 1/4 mile off a side trail.
You can adjust your put in or pull out depending on what you want to see (views) or miss (road walks). The trail up to pinch em tight is a climb out and is a good stopping place for the day or lunch and has outhouses and garbage collection.
The problem is between Morehead and RRG there are no shelters but you could camp at the clear creek furnace for a 15 mile first day if you put in on the US60 trailhead south of Morehead. I believe they have a spicket to fill water but if it is turned off there is a creek or lake that you could use.
The following day will have little water this time of year so stock up before you break camp but you could hike a 16 mile day (2 road miles) to corner ridge road trailhead. It's a small trailhead and probably dry, you may want to walk downhill to the always running creek to stay at some pretty nice back country sites.
The 3rd day would be a 10 miler (or 12 if you push to Whitleton) and offers amazing view. It will be the most strenuous of the three days (read elevation change is constant) but when you're done Migel's is right there for some well deserved pizza and ale 8.
Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going south from the trailhead would be a great option. I and many others have put alot of work into this area. Should be a nice hike and plenty of resupply options.

-Charles Kuralt, On The Road
Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also it has been raining here a lot so a lot of the dried up water sources should have water in them now to filter. This section of trail is very well marked and plenty of trail crew members live along this part of the trail in case you all need anything.

GreeneGo
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Just did this Reply with quote

I just got home from doing the northern terminus to the gorge last night. I must say look hiking north and come up into the gorge if you're set on ending there. The trek from clear creek is all well and good until you hit private property where horse traffic and quads combined with fewer blazes and the occasional trail side hunting blind really subtract from the joy of your time in the woods. Add that to the fact that every thing from there to corner ridge is road walking I would weigh other options first.
My buddy and I concluded there's a reason OutraGIS only maps the southern half.

Love the trail but there has to be a more enjoyable route. Best wishes and what ever section you take I hope you and your son have a great time!

"just keep following that smug little turtle"
Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Just did this Reply with quote

GreeneGo wrote:
I just got home from doing the northern terminus to the gorge last night. I must say look hiking north and come up into the gorge if you're set on ending there. The trek from clear creek is all well and good until you hit private property where horse traffic and quads combined with fewer blazes and the occasional trail side hunting blind really subtract from the joy of your time in the woods. Add that to the fact that every thing from there to corner ridge is road walking I would weigh other options first.
My buddy and I concluded there's a reason OutraGIS only maps the southern half.

Love the trail but there has to be a more enjoyable route. Best wishes and what ever section you take I hope you and your son have a great time!

"just keep following that smug little turtle"

Where are the trail blazes missing or hard to follow so we can get them fixed? As far as the other trail use, roadways, and hunters can't do much there? I'm sure it's muddy with all the rain we have been having. Also how was the trail from the NT to clear creek?

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Wrong conclusion Reply with quote

Hey Green to Go.... thanks for the info on the trail. Can't disagree about road walks. No one wants them but they take years to change them. Rest assured the STA is working to do what we can to eliminate all of them.

As for your conclusion about why OutraGis only maps the southern half, it is not true that the roads have anything to do with the release of the Northern Maps. Just this past weekend at the STA Conference the map makers from OutraGIS informed us that in 2012 the Northern Map will be released. The hold up has been potential trail changes we thought might move the trail off Bluestone Road in Morehead which has not happened and is still in the works, and potential trail changes in the Cave Run area in response to the Cave Run Trails Initiative, which are going to take years to happen.

Thanks for your update and thanks for spending some time on the trail. We greatly appreciate feedback on trail conditions like lack of blazes etc. It enables us to get the trail crew or volunteers out to fix the problems we have some control over.

Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong conclusion Reply with quote

Traildust wrote:
Hey Green to Go.... thanks for the info on the trail. Can't disagree about road walks. No one wants them but they take years to change them. Rest assured the STA is working to do what we can to eliminate all of them.

As for your conclusion about why OutraGis only maps the southern half, it is not true that the roads have anything to do with the release of the Northern Maps. Just this past weekend at the STA Conference the map makers from OutraGIS informed us that in 2012 the Northern Map will be released. The hold up has been potential trail changes we thought might move the trail off Bluestone Road in Morehead which has not happened and is still in the works, and potential trail changes in the Cave Run area in response to the Cave Run Trails Initiative, which are going to take years to happen.

Thanks for your update and thanks for spending some time on the trail. We
greatly appreciate feedback on trail conditions like lack of blazes etc. It enables us to get the trail crew or volunteers out to fix the problems we have some control over.

Traildust thank you for posting up coming projects to come and I also wanted to put in there if any one is looking for a great trail Thru hiker trail guide is a must have as well. Which you can also contact TrailDust Or go to http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/Trading_Post.html to pickup a copy

GreeneGo
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally understand the use of roadways for connecting wooded sections. In NO way would I knock all the effort put into this trail. Mainly brought up the road walking due to the general nature of a 12 year old attention span and possible safety concerns a father may want to consider.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenGo no problem. Understand totally. We will get it done. Here to help so let us know if we can be of assistance. Keep hiking.

steve "traildust"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: