Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR NATIONAL PUBLIC LANDS DAY PROJECTS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR NATIONAL PUBLIC LANDS DAY PROJECTS Reply with quote

TRAIL PROJECTS NEED VOLUNTEERS FOR
NATIONAL PUBLIC LANDS DAY, SEPTEMBER 24TH, 2011

Helping Hands for America's Lands!

The STA is hosting multiple opportunities for you to give your Helping Hands for America's Lands. Volunteers are needed right now for two planned projects;

1). Rt 421 to Rt 89. The trail running south of Heidelberg Ky. has been in bad shape with a large blowdown for two years. Time to get with our Forest Service partners and get this blockage removed and the trail restored. 6 to 10 volunteers are needed to take care of this project. Forest Service requires each participant to wear long sleeve shirt, long pants, safety goggles, hard shoes, and a hard hat. The STA can provide hard hats and glasses and possibly gloves.. The team will meet at 9:00 and should expect to work until around 4. Bring a sack lunch and some water and lets get busy.

2). Laurel Lake to Bark Camp Creek. Major blowdowns are sitting on this section of the Trace. The Forest Service is planning on sending out chainsaw certified personnel to work with volunteers to clear this section. Forest Service requires each participant to wear long sleeve shirt, long pants, safety goggles, hard shoes, and a hard hat. The STA can provide hard hats and glasses and possibly gloves.. The team will meet at 9:00 and should expect to work until around 4. Bring a sack lunch and some water and lets get busy.

To register send an email to volunteer@sheltoweetrace.org or sign up on Facebook OR JUST RESPOND HERE.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me bump this again. The trail folks are not in great shape in many places. Mother nature is killing us. We need you to help us fight back at one of these high priority sites. Surely you got a day to give back for all you have received from this great trail.

Help! Please.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Count me in Reply with quote

Timing is perfect! I have a weed wacker with brush blade attachment that I can bring. Can you clarify what 'hard shoes' are? Hiking boots?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiking boots. something that will protect the feet. Happy to have you. Which section can you help with?
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll help with the Laural Lake to Bark Camp Creek section. If there's time, I may take my brush whacker over to Starr Shelter and hit some of that section; it's the worst section of overgrown trail.

Where are we meeting?

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk'in man,

Right now the plan calls for folks to park their cars either at the Bark Camp shortcut into the trail or at the lower Dog Slaughter. Depends on the number of volunteers. Great thing about this section is there are several roads that help get us close with gear. Stay tuned for more details next week.

thanks for volunteering. We need more like you

traildust

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still in need of volutneers for these two projects. A lot of groups are also planning events for this time and we encourage you to support what going on locally. But at the same time, the Trail Check identified these two locations as the highest priorities and we need your help. All we need are 8 volunteers for each project. Please respond here or send an email to volunteer@sheltoweetrace.org.
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildust - any more details on Saturday's meet? Also, I plan to drive down tomorrow (Friday) and camp. I'd thought there was a drive-up campground on the east side of the river (Sawyer), but looks like it may be on the wrong side. I can hike into the shelter, but I'll be getting there late and need good directions to the shortcut in order to find it. Any suggestions?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walkin Man we have had little response to the work needs from Laurel Dam to Bark Camp. We have a crew working the north project at Heidelberg, meeting at the city park on the river at the end of the bridge at 9.

If you want to go ahead and work individually, it is ok. Are you familiar with the back way into the short cut trail to Bark Camp? Weed wacking is definitely need and there might be one or two others who are working individually. I will be in Heidelberg. Sorry we didn't get more of a response but I appreciate your help. The Starr Shelter I am sure is grown over again. Down from where there is a tree root ball there is a flat spot that is suppose to be the tent site. Sure it need serious chopping.
See me your cell - director@sheltoweetrace.org and if someone else from down that way gets with me last minute I will see if you all can meet up.

I can send the you directions to the back entrance to the trail if you need them. I understand if you have a change in plans.

steve

Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: All dressed up and no place to go :-) Reply with quote

Traildust,

Sorry you didn't get more response. I tried to recruit some volunteers, too, but this time of year everyone seems to be busy with the kids back in school.

I'm packed and ready to go, so I'll still go down to the south area and work on brush whacking around both shelters.

I'm not sure how to get in the back way. I see the roads on the map but directions would be appreciated. I'd still rather car camp on Friday, though, if you know of a decent drive up campground like Turkey Foot. I'm packing a big dinner and cooler full of refreshing beverages Smile

I'll send you my cell phone number, but the last time I was in that area there wasn't much signal, but a text may go through.

- Jeff

jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walkin' man,

We had four guys from the FS with us today. Also there was Steve, Rick, Jim and three of their boy scouts from Troop 71 I believe and I was there.
We cleared multiple blowdowns and generally cleared the trail and put up trail markers from KY 587 at Hale's Ridge Rd to a point where the trail comes back to Hales Ridge Rd. It was a distance of about 1.6 miles. It is a real nice section of trail.

Looking forward to hear how your day went.
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Bad day Reply with quote

JBD - Thanks to you and the rest of the gang that went out and gave some of your time to help clear the trail.

Unfortunately, I had a really bad 'day', starting Thursday evening and lasting till Saturday afternoon. My vacation was cancelled, had to work Friday and Friday night at midnight, then again at 11AM Saturday and it didn't end until about 5PM.

In other words, I didn't get to come down and clear anything.

The saddest part of it all is I told these people up front that what they wanted me to do wouldn't work, but I had to prove it to them. It didn't work, was a waste of time and I had to cancel my plans that have been in place for some time now.

I've rescheduled my vacation to the week of Oct. 17th, and I plan on hitting those shelters then. As it stands, I'll be down there the 15th (Saturday), then hiking on the 16th.

Anyone that wants to join in the work or the hike is welcome. Again, thanks to those that gave a little back this weekend. I feel bad that I didn't get to help out, but I will make up for it here in a couple of weeks.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk'in Man,

No problem. Clearing later in the year is really better for the spring. Maybe others will be able to get over there as well. Here is the back way in. You can camp where you park the car. Might be others there , might be no one.

From I-75 take the 25W exit toward Cumberland Falls State Park. About 5 miles west turn right onto Ky1193 note sign for Grove Recreation Area. Past Grove Rec. Area, you will see a hard right - YOU NEED TO GO STRAIGHT. You are now on KY1277. About 3... miles down the road you will intersect Forest Service Rd 193. 100 feet down the road turn left at FS Rd 551. There are small green number road signs so go slow. Follow 551 as far as you can. The area is where they are also moving in the new Bark Camp Bridge.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: update the Trail Manual Reply with quote

The NPLD Trail Crew has cleared a section of the Trace that for years has been bypassed. In Scot Ward's trail book, the Guidebook for the ST that we sell, even Scot walked on past, not knowing and not seeing a trail there. But it is there and open now for you to use. Please don't walk on by and miss a great one mile section of the trail. We suggest you update the Trailguide, page 25 to read,

161.33 pass Arvil Post Office Road on left.
161.53 join North KY-587, South Ky-587
161.84 go left on Hale Ridge Rd. leave Ky-587. Green road sign on Stop sign in the middle of road.
161.90 150 feet down Hale Ridge Rd. turn left back onto the Trace leading into the woods.
163.50 Trail passes through small trailhead site. NRT sign on post. Go right down gravel-dirt road, wide enough for vehicles.

The area is well blazed and cleared of debris up to the intersection with the larger dirt-gravel road.

Don't skip this section and walk the road. To many dogs now to greet you. This reopened section back in the woods is really a great walk along the edge of the hills down across a stream that you might be able to filter water from the pools of water. IF it has rained there will be water flowing.
All streams in this area are runoff and not natually feed from the hill tops.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my left and right confused..

Says "161.90 150 feet down Hale Ridge Rd. turn left back onto the Sheltowee Trace leading into the woods. "

Should say turn right back onto the Sheltowee Trace.

sorry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: