Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ridge Runner Trail Crew Workday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Ridge Runner Trail Crew Workday Reply with quote

Ridge Runner Trail Crew Workday is Saturday, July 23 ยท 9:00am - 1:00pm. We will meet at forest service gate at the end of Elk Lick Road to do what we do best. Clear the Sheltowee Trace tread. We will atleast get the short section between Elk Lick and Dry Branch Roads in proper shape. If we have enough hearty volunteers we may send a crew north toward the NT also. Bring hand clippers, saws, weed wackers for a fun 1/2 day on the Trace. Some tools will also be on hand for volunteer use. Directions: I-64 exit 137 in Morehead. Go 1 mile on Hwy 32 away from Morehead towards Flemingburg and turn right on Hwy 377. Follow 377 for 9.5 miles and take right on Elk Lick Road. Follow for approximately 2-3 miles to dead end at gate with parking area on the right. This is always a fun time to meet new people and clean up our trail. Come out and give us a hand and bring a friend.

-Charles Kuralt, On The Road
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be there and have a commitment from one more.
Dune
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill be there. This time Ill bring my gas powered weedeater. Very Happy
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more gas powered weedeaters the better.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dune!! I'm so shocked you don't want to borrow my weed eater Laughing
Dune
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Ill leave that with you.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are a go for tomorrow. Please plan for the hot weather. We will have a vehicle and water within no more than 10 minutes of the work site. Trail in this area runs next to gravel FS road. Looking forward to meeting new faces and pushing our volunteer hours over 1000 for the year.

t dust

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeanme wrote:
Whew

I take it that means it was hot out there Smile
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct translation. Let's finish it soon.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Cleared Reply with quote

The crew cleared from Dry Branch working north about 4.5 miles. Thanks to newest STA member Mike Campbell for bringing out his brush clearing machine. He and machine killed the trail. See photos. Thanks to Steve O'Connor, first time with the crew for running the weedeater all day.

Thanks to Jeremy and Megan Boone, Stewart Jones a returning crew member and new crew Robert Cannark for working the Dry Branch to FS 140.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to out him. weanme is Mike Campbell. More photos. Trail cleared where it runs through gas pipeline.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those machines would make my hay cutting go faster.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Next Crew Date Reply with quote

The Ridge Runner Trail Crew will have another day on the Sheltowee Trace, Saturday, August 27. The location for this outing will be Clear Creek Trailhead. The crew will split in two groups with one going around FS road 906 to where the trail comes out south of Natural Arch. The other half will start at Clear Creek and work their way south until they meet the north bound crew. Meet at the parking lot at Clear Creek Lake at 9:00 am. In addition to weed wacking, the crew will also do some trail tread work on a switchback to widen a few corners etc.. and rebuild the trail in front of Natural Arch.

Plan for the weather. Plan for the work. Some tools are avilable but you can help by bringing loppers, weed wackers, power weedeaters etc.

Email Crew Leader Jeremy Boone if you can make it or respond here.
jaboonexyz@netscape.net

Dune
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from hiking this section.I Started on sat. 8/6 at clear creek campground finished on monday at the suspension bridge on the red river. The trail was in good shape but i did lose it (probably because i wasnt paying attention), about a mile after the blacktop run out on clifton road, south of 1274. That part follows the creek and its a really nice section that had this misty look with rays of sunlight poking thru the canopy (pretty cool). When I finally realized I wasnt on the trail i decided to just go south because I knew i would eventually hit 460, and I finally did after some serious bushwacking, (I wound up in some guys back yard). From there it was an easy hike to the gorge, and a refreshing swim at Jumping Off Rock in the river. All in all the trail was in good shape and I had alot of fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: