Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Garmin GPS and a great hammock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pilgrim11b10
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: New Garmin GPS and a great hammock Reply with quote

Woot
Got my new Garmin Etrex Venture in the mail today. Think I'm gonna settle in with some Sobe white peach oolong tea and absorb the manual thru the pores of my skin, har.

Can't wait to FINALLY be able to understand all that hi-falooten GPS gibbarish<(spellcheck) in Backpacker.com
This is probably the most expensive piece of camping gear I have ever
bought.

I know this cause Nancy keeps saying "OMG that sucker is the most expensive piece of gear you've ever bought"

Next on my wish/want/gotta have/too expensive list is a camping hammock.

I really like the looks of the Lawson camping Hammock. Miejers has the Lawson
(on-line only)renamed Kamp-Rite Blue Ridge Camping Hammock for $119.00 as apposed to $149.00 from the Lawson site
I cannot verify if it is actually a rename, a cheap knock-off or a brand Lawson released to Miejers, so don't quote any of this crap. And don't send any hate mail for this shameless plug. Maybe Lawsons will give me one woot.

Why have I not mentioned any details, you say,? Mr. Green
They are too many to list on a forum, unlike all the other times I just go on, and on and on.

But no really, Google the darn thing it is amazing.... Or just click the link below.
No!! I don't own any part of Lawsons Hammocks, just did a bunch of net surfing and this beauty came out on top, but thats just me.

And the opinions expressed here are mine alone and should prolly be summarily ignored.

Pilgrim

As always
take what you need
leave the rest

http://www.meijer.com/s/kamp-rite-blue-ridge-camping-hammock/_/R-175853;jsessionid=85DECBB3F864D13BD667DB38CFEC0E6E.instance02?CAWELAID=758284871&cmpid=goobase

weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meijer's and Wal-Mart equipment, your asking for trouble.
Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to gear especially shelter gear I would spend the extra money and get a good product. Most of the stuff Wal-mart and other shopping centers sell are over weight and cheaply made. You don't want to be 4 or 5 days in and the gear start tearing up on you. Or spend the money and it last only one season. Although I have bought some decent products from them. But as far as packs, tents, hammocks, etc. I would go a different route. Just me!!!

-Charles Kuralt, On The Road
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use all the discount stuff that I can, and I buy alot of stuff off of ebay and craigslist (and at swap days @ outdoor stores). That being said, I still use only name brand items for my primary gear. I have two dd hammocks, and both were around 50$ (then about $40 postage from the UK). They are'nt the fanciest hammocks around, but they stand up to abuse real well.
wonderlust
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally love the Blue Ridge Camping Hammock (Lawson Hammock). It's easy to set up, comfortable and has always kept me dry/bug free. Not sure about the various vendors/retailers or the "Kamp Rite" model. If it was me, I'd pay the extra $20 (price appears to be $139.99) and purchase direct from www.lawsonhammock.com instead of somewhere like Meijer,etc.
Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just me but 4 lbs for a Blue Ridge Camping Hammock (Lawson Hammock). is very heavy. I have a two man 4 season tent that weighs that. But it's all about comfort and what your willing to carry in. But for weight there are alot lighter with bug covers for about the same price.

Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the good thing about the lawson is it does double as a bivy so if your hiking where there are not good trees or no trees. You set it up on the ground. Pro's and Con's on gear are always going to be around just have to decide what is right for you and I always say trial and error is the best advice!!!

wonderlust
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, the option of using on the ground is nice. One thing about the weight...if using as a hammock, you wouldn't really need a ground tarp or sleeping pad so that right there eliminates additional weight that you would most likely have to carry with a tent. Just a thought.
Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderlust wrote:
yea, the option of using on the ground is nice. One thing about the weight...if using as a hammock, you wouldn't really need a ground tarp or sleeping pad so that right there eliminates additional weight that you would most likely have to carry with a tent. Just a thought.

I was referring to it being as heavy as my tent that I use in colder conditions, 4lbs for a hammock is really heavy. But it is an all in one package if your not worried about the extra weight. Me myself don't mind packing alittle extra weight for comfort. But some weigh everything and go as light as they can.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: