Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Natural Bridge to Turkeyfoot 4th of July weekend Q's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benutzer
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridge to Turkeyfoot 4th of July weekend Q's Reply with quote

Getting ready to do Natural Bridge to Turkey Foot over the holiday weekend, headed southbound. Any trail status I should be aware of in this section (I know it's mostly road)? Also, is Turkey Foot open yet? Last I saw it was closed. Where would be a good place to park in the TF area? Been wet there lately? I know north of there is drowning and south of there is roasting, but not sure about the middle.
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey foot is closed to car traffic, but you can still cross on foot and camp. I was just there in May and had the place all to myself except for some locals that come down for a cookout, then left. Good people; I stopped into say 'Hi', and they insisted that I eat with them. Who was I to say no Smile

Can't say about parking or current water conditions. You couldn't actually get to the campground at that time because the water was up so high. I parked at 1274 and walked to 421. There's a couple of businesses there on 421 where the trail comes out, if you want to go about 5 miles further than TF. One's a daycare, the other a Self-Storage place; they probably wouldn't mind you parking there, but I'd ask first.

Enjoy! It's a nice section of the trail once you get past the road walk.

- Jeff

Benutzer
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that we'll actually get past Turkey Foot, but would like to leave a car close by there just in case. Just not sure where would be good, and I hate arriving without knowing. Hard to get a good early start that way. Thanks for the info!
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could leave your car along the gravel road there by Turkeyfoot, but I can't say it'd be safe. The people I met were 'salt of the earth' type, and I spoke with some 4-wheelers along the road, too, that seemed like good people, but there is a lot of traffic in that area and it'd be a tempting target out there all by itself.

On the other had, I've left mine in more remote spots and never had an issue...

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ahold of Paul Rose - he is on this forum. If he is home in McKee he might be able to hook you up with some ideas. He is at the PVA office in McKee. Call early though - its Friday.....
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: