Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NT to Dry Branch Rd???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: NT to Dry Branch Rd??? Reply with quote

Is there any current info on the trail condition from the northern terminus to Dry Branch Rd?
Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hiked this area Monday June 26 there are some blowdowns at the first and about halfway through that area across the trail but passable. A few sunny spots with a few weeds but with long pants you should be fine. Other then that the trail is in good shape.

-Charles Kuralt, On The Road
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Maybe I can get to the blowdons in the next few weeks.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished Natural Bridge to Northern Terminus yesterday at noon. On this section there are about 5-6 down trees. This section is overgrown with areas on no visibility for snakes. Heard three rattlers but I couldn't hear the copperheads. The upside is that the blackberries are ripe! There is a small problem of a strange yellow-blaze trail that runs sometimes with and sometimes not with the ST. What is that? You can tell that the ST was once marked with well placed (and angled) blazes. Now there is this mystery OHV trail that comes up about where the Hunt Club property sign is and I was unsure of my path about five times. First time users would not be happy with this section. AND since its the first 10 miles it should be well groomed. I'll help you.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Yep, this section is a challenge when it comes to overgrowth. It is on our list to get started clearing this week.

The yellow marking are not a trail, they are boundary line markings - survey markings. Don't know about a OHV trail. The Sheltowee Trace runs along a barbed wire fence where the landowners have a trail for hunting but that section was well marked by me a year ago.

Watch for word on the next Ridge Runner work crew this month.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you could tell is was marked rather well but the yellow blazes really can throw you off. So is it the boundary line of Lewis and Rowan or what? Oh...I wanted to say that the section from Dry Branch south to Big Perry/I-64 bridge is now a terrific path. Big thanks to all who did that job! Much hard work on that section but it sure makes the going worthwhile. I smiled at some of the creative creek bank step work.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes county line which in most cases is also the property line. Going out tomorrow to clear from NT to as far as I can get with time and cut grass at NT. If anyone can help, meet about 1000. If I am not at parking lot head up the trail to the sound of old man grunting.

Yep those steps were a hasty solution but will need some more detailed work..

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok if you read this and have the time on Tuesday, July 5th from 1000 to whenver, we will meet at NT parking lot to cut grass, weeds, brush piles etc.... at least to the top of the hill and maybe down the trail. Mile or two.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeanme wrote:
I smiled at some of the creative creek bank step work.

Glad you enjoyed that little set of steps. Dune, Bob and I put those up so we could get up the bank to continue our work towards Holly Fork. Of course those steps will be gone soon if the is a big rain fall. We really need to come up with a much better, more permanent solution.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[size=18]Thanks to Tommy the Tank and son Derek diesel Davidson for helping today at the NT. Also welcome to weanme or Mike Campbell from over near Carrington Rock for joining our crew today. Sp[/size]

We clear the obstruction and weed wacked the trail from the parking lot to the top of the hill. Also, the grass around the perimeter for the lot is cleared back so it is visible and looks excellent.

Thanks also to Jim "I got no trail name yet" for giving a day to work more on the Trace north of Rt 32 in Morehead. Still lots to do but little by little.....

Thanks everyone.
traildust

Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve we had a great time and the trail looks really good. And Derek loves the new trail name Very Happy .

jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you had some good help with you. BTW for what ists worth I was named Sheltowee during my short section hike on the AT in June. jbd works fine for me also.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I might be able to make some time to go back to the NT to Dry Branch section within the next two weeks. Anybody working on it PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I'd love to get it cleared and I was soooo encouraged by what I saw today, human wise. Tank and Diesel and Mr. Dust, it was a pleasure to meet you. I used to hike, bike and camp this section. Its where I brought friends for an intro to the ST. We'd stay near Tom B's ridgetop bogs and listen to peepers in the spring. Its so different now, that was before the clear cuts and the storms. 20 years ago.

Mr. Dust, I got in another 4.5 hrs. at the US 60 Triplett Bridge and across Spurlock's fields. 2 hrs. were hazardous duty pay due to ragweed and other sneeze weeds and this incredibly vigorous vine that fought back against me as I made my way through. I was engulfed in it. With the work the STA had already done here, the trail is in great shape in this section, all the way to the Ranger Station, and I encourage its immediate use.
Mike Campbell, (weeanme)

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for the extra effort at Tripplett.
Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL weeanme's new name should be bushed wacked or man of Stihl with as much weedeating that he done that day. Hope the back isn't hurting to bad weeanme Laughing .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: