Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20 mile hike more or less

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee C
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: 20 mile hike more or less Reply with quote

I,ve read alot of post on the Sheltowee Trace and i,ve read about bikes, horses, gravel roads and pavement. I have never been outside of the gorge on the Sheltowee Trace. From where to where is the best 20 miles more or less to get away from all of this for a couple of days and nights. Thanks
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the section from the northern terminus to Morehead is a good get-a-way from the more "crowded" areas like the RRG. It can be considered strenuous as you get close to Morehead, IMO.

From the NT to KY 32 is roughly 23 miles

There is water available at Dry Branch Rd thanks to the land owner there and there is water available via filtration/purification at Holly Fork. From there it is really dry until you get to Morehead and can stop at a restaurant near I-64.
twoleftfeet
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering this same thing. I am about to take my wife on her first overnight hike, she is really looking forward to getting away from everyone else on the trail. More specifically horses and bikes. She is scared of horses for some odd reason.
Lee C
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there,s no horses or bikes in the gorge but there are alot of people.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping in this area will be "primitive" meaning no prepared campsites. There can be quite a bit of poison ivy and saw briars so I don't recommend hiking in shorts. I think some of the local folks use parts of the trail to get around via 4 wheelers but I have seen very few people on this section.

The trail here passes through some provately owned property so it is really important to follow the "Leave No Trace" philosophy.

Any idea of when you might be making the hike?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBD makes some great suggestions. The NT to Morehead section would be one of the least used with no bikers and a 1% chance you might run into a horse. When are you going out? We are working on the Northern end of the trail this week and weekend if the rain will let up.

traildust

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Lee C
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We won't be going until mid July and it will be during the week. Thanks for your help.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really hoping that I can do a camping/working trip of several days before you get on the trail in July.
Lee C
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to come and help you on some of the clearing or any thing else on this section. i,m off most all sundays if you think you might be on the trail then.
Tim York
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiking the Sheltowee Trace from Bison Way Trailhead north to Corner Ridge is a good walk of about six miles and I have found few people on this section of the ST. It seems the crowd hangs near Indian Staircase. A good loop can also be made by making a right turn onto the Osborne Bend Trail from the ST and continuing for another eight miles more or less to the Iron Bridge near Copperas Creek. If its in Clifty Wilderness, it has to be good.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeC, I'm thinking of going this Sunday July 3rd, to cut out some small blow downs near KY 32 as the trail comes into Morehead. Plans aren't definite at this time due to it being a holiday weekend. If not Sunday I may go Monday or Tuesday.
Chilton
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corner Ridge to Whittleton Campground through the gorge is very nice but you'd see a few people, no horses or bikes though.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbd wrote:
LeeC, I'm thinking of going this Sunday July 3rd, to cut out some small blow downs near KY 32 as the trail comes into Morehead.

I made it out to Morehead on July 3rd and cut some of the blow down from KY 32 heading back towards KY 799 (Big Perry Rd) It was there same area we worked on about 4 or 5 weeks ago. I was way to exhausted to go up to the NT to work that area on Sunday. My wife took pictures which I hope we can upload in the near future.

I cleared some of the brush and overgrowth from the very large tree that is blocking the trail the point we stopped at 4 or 5 weeks ago. That tree has a lot of rot in it and while it is large I think we can clear it enough to get the trail open at that point. A two man crosscut saw and four people could probably get it done in fairly short order. The other option, barring a chainsaw, would be to use axes. I may try to start on that this week if all goes well.

As it stands right now, one could crawl under that big tree or bushwack around it to the up hill side. There are a few other blow downs that need to be climbed over in that area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: