Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carrington Rock - can you get on top?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> TrailCheck 2011
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great question. Hopefuly someone here can help. Would love to know the answer.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's haunted!

http://www.strangeusa.com/ViewLocation.aspx?locationid=4204

Shocked

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip there w man. We will need to write this up and do some investigating this location.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post interested me. I've been all over Cave Run but never heard of Carrington Rock, so I googled it and found that. Unfortunately, I didn't find much else. Trails.com looks like it has a write up, but I don't subscribe so I can't read it.

I did see a blurb about it being trail #123, but couldn't confirm it on the Forest Service website. I fired off an email to someone at the Cumberland ranger station, but haven't heard back yet.

Keep us posted and if I find anything I'll let you know.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Carrington Reply with quote

W - Man and Kel,

Molloys book has some information but not much. I do know from talking with folks at Journey End Lodge nearby that they tell me Carrington rock is privately owned. I will check some other sources, may even go down there and see whats up for myself. I know that the Trace is well marked in this section and a pretty easy hike.

Chilton
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Carrington Rock? I think I know the place you're talking about and know every foot of it but I think the locals know it by another name La-key-gee (spelled phonetically). Is it off the trace near limestone knob and/or the fs road in that area?
Autoeng
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not Lockegee, look around Cave Run Lake on Mapquest and you will find it, not sure if their spelling is correct either. Different area, different rock. Some call Lockegee, Clack Mountain.

This is a rock along the Sheltowee, south of Clear Creek Recreation Area.

Autoeng

Chilton
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gotcha
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is off-post a little, but a vivid memory of mine I thought I'd share for no reason Smile

If I remember correctly, Lockegee is up by Salt Lick. We were driving to it one time as teens (a long time ago!), up a forest service road, when we passed a turnoff with three rough looking guys in a pickup just sitting at the turn off pointing out toward the road.

They immediately got in behind us and right up on our tail. We speed up, and so did they. I mean bumper to bumper. We finally got to another turn out and pulled in, they pulled up the road just past us and stopped, leaving just enough room for us to back out and turn around. It was pretty obvious that's what they wanted us to do.

We did, then they did and got right back on our tail all they way down the mountain back to the pull off where they resumed their early post. I'm not sure what was going on up at the top of that hill, but whatever it was they didn't want us to be involved!

Back to Carrington Rock, there seems to be a lot of reference to it out there on the big bad Internet, but no specific reference to where the trail to the top is. It looks like it may just be an unmaintained side trail going east off the Sheltowee about two miles south of Clear Creek picnic area.

I'd bet if you stopped in at that store right before you get to the little lake someone there will know how to get to the top.

weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Carrinton rock trail Reply with quote

You can reach Carrington rock two ways. There is a base to summit horse trail (1 mi.)beginning at Rudy's Ranch horse park at the junction of hwy 211 and 36 in Bath County. There are houses in the area and they all know where the trail head is. The other route is off the ST heading north on FS 906 (3 mi) to the base of the rock. There is an easy way up the rock with a permanently attached rope. Prepare to be disgusted by the trash not packed out by horse people as well as erosion of the soft sandy soil at the base of the rock. Once up, fantastic view northwest to the escarpment of the Cumberland Plateau, hominy holes, wild bluberries and copperheads.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks weanne for the access information.
djsalv01
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: carrington lockegee and clack Reply with quote

Unfortunately all three areas have been loved and abused to death. Lockegee is off SR 1274 along a FS road that will eventually take you from outside of Morehead to 801 across from Cave Run Lake. Clack Mountain is the generic term for the large area that begins with the rise in elevation off of 519 leaving Morehead to West Liberty. Carrington sits at the edge off a large swatch of forest right by the Carrington golf course. There is some fantastic off trail hiking in the area. Start by picking up the Bangor quad topo map and look for Murder branch and elm log. Both of these areas are located to the West of 519 before you get to West Liberty. They have massive cliffs awesome rock shelters and need people to hike them before the loggers and developers try to steal them away from us. I am new to replying on the site but if you have any questions about the Cave Run area please write me.
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autoeng - did you make it to the top? Curious minds want to know....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> TrailCheck 2011 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: