Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheltowee Extreme Adventure Race July 10-11, 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BSF-Hiker
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Sheltowee Extreme Adventure Race July 10-11, 2010 Reply with quote

The Sheltowee Extreme South Adventure Race will he held July 10-11, 2010 in McCreary County Ky.

From Stephanie Ross, http://www.sheltoweeextreme.com/

Greetings adventure racers -

The early registration deadline for the Sheltowee Extreme South is quickly approaching. Be sure to get your team registered by June 10th in order to receive a free wicking race shirt and discounted entry fee. The race takes place the weekend of July 10 - 11, 2010, and will be headquartered at Sandhill 4-H Camp in McCreary County, Kentucky. The courses will run through some of the most scenic terrain found in the Big South Fork River and Recreation Area, Daniel Boone National Forest, and Cumberland Falls State Resort Park.

The 24-hour event offers CASH PRIZES in addition to a chance to qualify for the USARA National Championship. Also, with the 2011 USARA National Championship to be headquartered out of Cumberland Falls SRP, this will be a great way to familiarize yourself with the area!

This will be a very spectator and family-friendly event, and there are loads of fun and interesting things to see and do around McCreary County besides racing! Check out the Big South Fork Scenic Railway, the Natural Arch, Yahoo Falls, the historic Blue Heron Mining Community, spectacular Cumberland Falls, the homestyle cooking at Suzanne's Restaurant and homemade fudge at Sweet Kreations, both located inside the historic train depot in Stearns, and more! Area information can be found at www.kyvacations.com

Any help in spreading the word will be most appreciated.

Train well -

Stephanie Ross
www.sheltoweeextreme.com
www.racethefig.com

I have attached an event flyer in pdf file format. Please print a copy and post where ever you think it would be helpful.

O&W Bridge Overlook______________________________________ Princess Falls
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered for the 6hr sprint this past week. I'm currently registered as a solo entrant, but may end up teaming with two friends from western ky. If anybody is interested in trying adv racing, the sprint is a great opportunity. Stephanie puts on great races too.
HutSutRaw
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to post on a not so recent thread, but I had a few inquiries about this awesome race. I see that it appears to be a yearly event and you guys accept volunteers for the "not so physically prepared" yet still physically active folks like us. Are there any prerequisites to helping out in the 2011 event? I would love to help the racers out on their routes. I'm a pretty decent swimmer and I'm used to hiking all over the place. I just feel as though I'll injure myself pretty badly on the course.

The reason I ask is because I'm interested in meeting other hikers and I'll be in KY around July. I currently live in Indianapolis. Anyway, hope to join you guys come July.

As an added question: has anyone used Ultra Ankle braces? If I end up doing any sort of hiking, I need something to add to my first aid kit.

Last edited by HutSutRaw on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Stephanie Ross @ Flyingsquirrell adventures (or something like that!). She will likely have knowledge of any adv race in this region this year. The national cahmpionships are at Cumberland Falls (Sept, I think.) I don't know if there is a race at Whitley City or not this year, but I hope so.
BSF-Hiker
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the calendar at: http://www.flyingsquirreladventures.com/

O&W Bridge Overlook______________________________________ Princess Falls
boskom
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSF-Hiker wrote:
check out gallbladder the calendar at: http://www.flyingsquirreladventures.com/

I look media gallery on that webpage and it is cool and I musr say funny with those sleepy guys Razz
moonsky
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to post on a not so recent thread, but I had a few inquiries about this awesome race. I see that it appears to be a yearly event and you guys accept volunteers for the "not so physically prepared" yet still physically active folks like us. Are there any prerequisites to helping out in the 2011 event? I would love to help the racers out on their routes. I'm a pretty decent swimmer and I'm used to hiking all over the place. I just feel as though I'll injure myself pretty badly on the course.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, no worse than the rest of us. Find a 6hr, or 8hr, and give it a try. I'm awful, but I always (usually) have a good time.

I think that John @ Run Bikeshop is hosting a 6 & 12 hr a cave this july. I'm going to have to get in some sort of shape by then. I'm sure that John and/or Stephanie would love to have volunteer help for their events. Give them a call, or send a pm.. Both are great folks. Great promoters too. And they're fast. Extremely!

Look for me laying trailside in July Very Happy .
ponding123
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sheltowee Extreme South Adventure Race is such a popular event and I am sure that the 2011 races must have gone off just like all the previous years with a lot of participants registering for it!! I fully agree that it is so well organized which is why the participant keep increasing every year for this event!! With the attractive cash prizes and the chance to qualify for the 2011 USARA National Championship, this opportunity for exposure will surely be taken advantage of!! Is it recommended to take a short term medical insurance plan before we participate in such events?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: