Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 Forks of Beaver Overlook Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiker1
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: 3 Forks of Beaver Overlook Trail Reply with quote

I know this trail is not part of the ST, it is on the Beaver Creek Wildlife Management Area near the ST, and is one entrance to the Beaver Creek National Wilderness Area. We attempted to hike this trail yesterday evening. We have a severe wind storm hit that area around the middle of May and filled this trail full of trees and it is almost impossible to get to the overlook, infact we had around 30 people and we got within 1/4 miles of the overlook and turned back. A small group might fight their way through this.

A number of hikers uses these trails along with the ST in McCreary County.

I will be notifing the FS in the morning about this problem and will let you all know when this trail is cleared, which might be a while.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
veela-valoom
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me sad. I really like Beaver creek. Stupid weather.
hiker1
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also really like this trail, it is not demanding, kid/family friendly/a couple of great views. Now if you want demanding go over into the Wilderness Area. Those trail are slowly getting back in shape.

It is a good thing this trail is not in the wilderness area. Since it is not chainsaws, motorized vehicles, etc. can be used. The upper part of the trail is wide enough to get these out to where the blockage starts, however the lower section is not wide enough for vehicles.

I am not sure what if any damage occured to the trails down in the Wilderness section.

A work day has not been set but one is in the planning. When we get it set I will let everyone know.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with this trail. Can you give me an idea of where it is? If you can post your plans as early as possible I'll try to join the effort. Even some tentative plans would help me, such as--" looking at September" or "we're looking at October". Much of my schedule is already being worked out for Oct, Nov & Dec.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaver Creek is down on the Cumberland River in McCreary County. If you go upriver from the Mouth of the Laurel you run right into it. It is right on the bend of the river.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be very close to the area we were going to work August 8th. If I am available I would be glad to help on that project.
hiker1
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaver Creek Wildlife Management Area is in Northern McCreary and Southern Pulaski Counties, mostly McCreary. The FS owns the property and KDFW manages it. The Beaver Creek National Wilderness Area in located in the interior section, basically everything between the tops of the cliff lines. The Wilderness Area is great, just very rugged and the trails are in the process of being put back into shape. The trails within the Wilderness Area basically had not been touched in a number of years, it is now in the Stearns Ranger District. The volunteer that was working on these trails got a full time job, so progress has slowed. They now have signage up on the major roads.

Just remember that wilderness regulations for trails and use are very different than regular FS/ST trails. They can only be so wide, kept up with hand tools only (no chain saws, weed whackers, etc), certain trail makers (not regualr trail markers every 100 yards), etc.

There are very few roads on it, most of the gates stay locked, a few get opened during the draw deer hunt in November.

The District Ranger here is very supportive of these trails/hiking and getting them back into shape, however he needs money/personel/time. I think the Stearns Ranger District has new maps of this area.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiker1 wrote:

They can only be so wide, kept up with hand tools only (no chain saws, weed whackers, etc),.....

Sounds like this would be a good area for my saw, scythe and weed chopper. Smile
hiker1
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told tonight that the Stearns District Ranger wants to get this trail back open ASAP. I will have more news in a week of so. Once clean up plans are made I will post them here. They are considering a salvage sale, so we might have to leave some trees across, just limb them, a lot better than what it is now.

If you plan on volunteering on the Forest Service they would like for you to officially sign up, there is a short application and you must submit to a background check. You can complete the application at any Ranger District.
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a beautiful area. The trail along the creek is very scenic and hard to follow, though i did see a guy walking a cat down there.

Here's a photo in April from the main overlook:

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walking a cat? You busted my gut with that one. HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!
veela-valoom
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overlook is amazing for it's solitude. It's one of the places where I've really felt God in nature. On the random beautiful days we had in December me and dad went there, we were completely alone at the overlook, the sky was blue, the sun warm and the wind blowing. Places like that are so wonderful. Keep me updated on the forest services plans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: