Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advocacy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Advocacy Reply with quote

Is there a list of sections that are closed along the trace? I have read through some older post on the general discussion forum where folks are talking about closed sections. I would like to advocate for reopening sections and explaning the trail but I would like to know what the status of the trail is? How much is closed? How many miles are on roads? How many miles go through private property? Does anyone have any of this information? thanks

traildust
Chilton
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it can be found on the USFS site but I do not remember exactly where... I'll see what I can dig up. I do know that everywhere south of Morehead is fine hiking. It's just the top 20 miles that are tricky.
I.B.Me
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the many volunteers who helped clean up the northern section, the entire trail is open.

Get out and hike it. Like all trails, it needs traffic to keep it open.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get out and hike is the word. i talked with the ranger station in morehead and in Winchester. They had no definitive figures on road miles, private miles, etc. Amazed but then again not amazed given the last eight years of budget reductions to the NPS and state forest management.

Bottom line is - it is all open and if we all hike it and encourage others and talk up the trail we can keep it open and even make some improvements.

thanks for the responses.
traildust
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the things I like to do: map the trail based on type of use...whether foot trail single track, ohv track, jeep road, etc...

The main problem I encountered was in the large section between Cane Creek WMA north to Natural Bridge, which has so many interwoven uses it's hard to quantify.

Some big stretches of single track, but in a short span you could network onto an atv trail, a gravel forest service road, or along the edge of a powerline.

As for being open...It's always been open in my mind. It's a national recreation trail so no single district can close it. I'm not sure what type of administrative force could close it permanently, but as folks here have said, the best way to keep a trail open is to use it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: