Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

finding the red line on topo maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeanette mathern
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: finding the red line on topo maps Reply with quote

is it just my eyesight or what? the red line becomes purplish and then disappears into blues and greens...i live in menifee and just want to hike around here but can't even see where the trail crosses 460...is there a map that's more of a cross between a topo and a road map? thanks. also: would anyone like a hiking buddy? 50's retired teacher/would-be writer; healthy and not a whiner but new to this area and unfamiliar w/the trails.
I.B.Me
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeanette,
Go buy you a Kentucky Atlas and Gazetteer ($16.95 at Wal-Mart). The entire Sheltowee is indicated in an easy to follow manner.

Look on page 39 bottom right and see where the trail runs with US460 and turns onto KY77, then onto Corner Ridge road. When Corner Ridge dead ends there is a small parking area. The Sheltowee then continues into the Clifty wilderness area and some of the best hiking in Kentucky.

Hope this helps,
Rick

Bits
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is gonna make me look stupid but.....

I realize this topic is a year old but I have to agree with Jeanette. I've downloaded and looked at several of the topo maps. They make sense... I can see roads and read elevations.

However, I have no clue what the red and purple lines mean. And I don't see any trails labeled. I realize I'm a newbie so please be kind to me. Smile

It appears that sometimes there are loops in the red and purple lines. Are these different alternative trials?

Maybe I missed the map legend somewhere or directions on how to read these someplace else on this website??
Feet
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bits wrote:
I have no clue what the red and purple lines mean. And I don't see any trails labeled.

It appears that sometimes there are loops in the red and purple lines. Are these different alternative trials?

Maybe I missed the map legend somewhere or directions on how to read these someplace else on this website??

The red line is the Sheltowee Trace. The purple lines mark the boundary between government owned land and privately owned land. If the trail passes through privately owned land, it is a good idea to not camp there.

I have a question of my own. What is the best map that shows the entire trail? It should have contours, roads, trails, and private property. http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55 has all this, but I don't want to print out 32 pages. Is there a way to buy those maps already printed out?
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe a couple of the outdoor stores in Lexington Ky sell what you are looking for. Phillip Gall's comes to mind in that regard.

I'm going to correct myself on this issue. I don't think there is one map of the Sheltowee as a whole.
Bits
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...now I that I know that the red line is the trail, which was does the trail go (going North to South) in map #25 when it T's into the road? The red line goes both east and west at that point. Thanks for your help.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going south bound on map 25 it would appear to me that you would go right(west) at the "T" you are talking about. Then after a short distance you would be turning left(south) and following the trail on to map 24.

Notice on map 24 Josie hollow or creek. That terrain feature is indicated on map 25 as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Best Guides, Resources, and Maps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: