Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a Trail Angel and info on new BSF route?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsmoore
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Trail Angel and info on new BSF route? Reply with quote

I can't seem to find any maps of the new southern terminus... Tell me if my math is correct - it's 61 or 62 miles from the new Leatherwood terminus up to KY92 right where it crosses the River? Does that seem correct? IF anyone has a topo map, GPS (gpx) file, or anything like that it would be much appreciated.

I have a 4 day stretch I can commit to doing as much of the south as possible leaving on the afternoon of the 23rd and concluding no later than morning on the 27th, so I want to do max mileage but also not bite off more than I can chew.

I had a ride lined up for this, but it fell through. I'm looking to park at the end, and have someone take me down to Leatherwood. Is there anyone out there who can help me on the 23rd? I'll happily pay - I have an unexpected block of time off work and really want to get max hiking in. Please contact me: rsmoore@gmail.com if you are willing or know anyone - I can't do this hike without a lift. Any and all help is appreciated. Also, company welcome, if you are free those days.
KYkamper
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent been able to find maps for the new leatherwood trailhead either. I have a Nat Geo map and the outrage GIS sheltowee trace maps and neither of them start at the leatherwood trailhead. As of right now since I havent found the new route from leatherwood I plan on strating at Pickett State park. Let me know if you find the maps and I will do the same.

Try calling the Sheltowee Trace Outfitters about a ride. They will pick you up at your car at the spot you plan on finishing at, then take you to the trailhead you want to start at so you are hiking to your car.

I plan on doing the entire trace starting the 28, bummer we cant start the trek together.

Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Big South Fork map with the new Southern Terminus hasn't been published yet. What I attached will help
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big South Fork Extension

Objective: To extend the Sheltowee Trace down into the southend of the Big South Fork NRRA toward the ultimate connection with the Cumberland Trail.

New Extention Blazed: From Leatherwood Trail head just off Highway 297 at Big South Fork River, you will need to cross on the road bridge and at the west end of the bridge, take the JMT/ST along the river bank. Look for JMT/ST blazes. Follow the JMT to intersection of Fall Branch Trail. Take Fall Branch over to Litton Farm Loop over to Bandy Creek Campground. At Bandy Creek Campground, turn right on gravel road (Duncan Hollow Rd.) and follow road for about a mile to the Intersection of Katie Trail on left. Take Katie over and behind the campground to the intersection of Jack's Ridge Loop stay straight do not take the loop to the right, then continue until you intersect with Black Horse Branch. Black Horse Branch will intersect with Laurel Fork Creek Trail and further north Fork Ridge which is a wide road down to the intersection of the horse trail into Charit and further down to the end of the road to the hiking trail into Charit Lodge.At Charit where hikers can stay for $19.00 you join the Station Camp trail, which has just been redone with new gravel and is multiuse. Take Station Camp all the way over to the intersection with the JMT where you turn left and follow the JMT over to Divide Road. Cross Divide Road and continue on the JMT / Rock Creek Loop into Massey Creek, an old Forest Road which will intersect with the Sheltowee Spur to Pickett or left north toward Great Meadow.

Estimated Mileage:
ST/Rock Creek Loop Intersection to Divide Road : 1.5 miles
Divide Road to Station Camp: 16 miles
Station Camp to Bandy Creek: 9 miles
Bandy Creek to Leatherwood: 8 miles

KYkamper
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch this clarifies things a lot!! I can now see how it connects with the sheltowee. The only thing I am still slightly confused about is the exact starting point. I think I have found the start using the map you provided and cross referencing it with your instructions and my Nat Geo Map. The only thing is on the map you provided here it looks like the trailhead extends down past the edge of the map, is this the case or can the trailhead be located on that map. I am looking at the Nat Geo one as well and it looks like the trailhead starts at the leatherwood loop trail and then connects to the JMT along the river and then off to the rest of the sheltowee, is this correct?

Thanks a bunch for your help!!![/b]

rsmoore
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much to everyone who replied, that's very helpful. I'll give the outfitters a call.area[/u]
rsmoore
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a followup, I'll be leaving for this tomorrow around noon. Hope to see some of you out there! I'll try to report on trail conditions and etc.
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYkamper wrote:
Thanks a bunch this clarifies things a lot!! I can now see how it connects with the sheltowee. The only thing I am still slightly confused about is the exact starting point. I think I have found the start using the map you provided and cross referencing it with your instructions and my Nat Geo Map. The only thing is on the map you provided here it looks like the trailhead extends down past the edge of the map, is this the case or can the trailhead be located on that map. I am looking at the Nat Geo one as well and it looks like the trailhead starts at the leatherwood loop trail and then connects to the JMT along the river and then off to the rest of the sheltowee, is this correct?

Thanks a bunch for your help!!![/b]

The southern Terminus is at Leatherwood Ford at Hwy 297. Yes it looks like it crosses the road but it doesn't at least for now. You park in the big parking lot and walk across the bridge to the other side of the river and the trail starts there.

rsmoore
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come back from this a bit early - some knee/foot pain really slowed me down and I stopped after about 40 miles.

Overall, this section is pretty great. TONS of water, relatively easy hiking, largely well blazed. I had very few insect problems, saw virtually no people, and did about 40 or so miles until Division road got boring/a knee gave out.

With ONE glaring exception that seems to be the sheltowee rule: Roads and car areas. The trail was horribly blazed in Bandy, and in complete disagreement with the brand new national geographic map I purchased. The Natgeo shows a left turn and a long walk thru the campsite, none of which is blazed. Meanwhile, I discovered that it is in fact a right turn, go about 300 yards, then a linking trail to take you to Jack's Ridge/Jack's Corner etc.

The problem with this discrepancy is that if you follow the NAtGeo, you will eventually come to a 3 way intersection that makes NO sense, with sheltowee blazes going in two directions with no clear indication which is correct. If you follow the trail with the most blazes, a sort of northeast, you backtrack. If you follow the one with only two - a sort of southwest - blazes drop off for about a mile. It's very frustrating, especially if you are coming in the dark and are tired. There needs to be a laminated map posted at the edge to take thru these developed areas - the trails are very well marked, but wherever they encounter roads and junctions they really suck.

Why is an east coast system of angled blazes or double blazes not implemented? So many of these junctions could be made so much clearer with the addition of a single extra blaze, or even a directional marker.

That said - other than Bandycamp I found the blazing and NatGeo map to be great companions. Chesnut Ridge was a particular highlight - spent the night in my Hennessey with a pack of coyotes howling at the moon - very cool and pretty. Muir overlook is pretty neat, and overall this is an excellent set of trails.

One note to those starting at leatherwood - you need to cross the road bridge and immediately to the right there are some steps down to the other side of the trail.

Also - see is Cherit Creek hostel will be open when you go through - looks like a very welcome end of day 1/ day 2 rest stop for a real bathroom, clean water refill, trash dump, etc. I think it must be weekends only because it was locked up tightly when I came through.

Also - Bears. EVERYWHERE. Spoor, prints, you name it. Bear bagging should not be skipped or elided - I would be very strict about even cooking clothes.

Overall, a great time. Disappointed in my knee, but it happens sometimes Smile
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about your knee/foot pain. It isn't any fun hiking when they start to hurt.

Hopefully traildust will respond to your comments about the trail blazing problems you had.

So you have the new BSF map with the new route on it? I have looked and haven't been able to find it. I may just markup one of my old maps instead of buying a new one.

Interesting about the bears. I know the BSF keeps saying they are there but I haven't seen any trace of them. I do hang my food mostly because of the other critters out there.

rsmoore
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the NAtGeo Map at the Bandy Camp trailhead, where you need to buy your $5 backcountry permit. it was $11 and brand new, nice waterproof rip resistant stock as all the other NatGeo ones.

A lot of it just follows the Muir, so the map isn't mandatory, but I thought for an $11 investment it was well worth it.
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to know they have the new map. Thanks for the pic of the bear print
rsmoore
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the difference in blazing at Bandy.
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that doesn't look like the map I posted a few post up
rsmoore
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a screenshot from the google map zoomed in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: