Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Section Hiking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UberPest
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Section Hiking Reply with quote

I'm looking to start section hiking the Sheltowee Trace. My current plan is to start at the new Southern Terminus, hike to Laurel Lake (Corps office), then next year Laurel Lake to the KY River, then the last trip (either next year or in 2015) from the KY river to the Northern Terminus.

I've ordered the map of the southern half of the trail as well as the 2010 guidebook. I started my plans using the 2004 book by Johnny Molloy. The new materials aren't here yet.

I'm looking at going in mid-September as my work is crazy busy until then and I can't take the time to go.

In the past I've been able to cover 15-18 miles in a day, but this was on rolling terrain in Northern Michigan and I was in better shape back then. I've been doing day hikes and biking more than anything lately, so I think 10-12 is the most likely daily mileage (my most recent long day hike was on rough but not extreme terrain--13.5 miles in 7 hours). My plan is to take about 10 days to hike the approximately 100 miles I think the section I'm looking at measures. This gives me a little time to pick up a mail drop if I can find a good spot to do this.

I do hike with a dog--this one is not as well conditioned to being on the trail as my previous dog (who passed away in October), but he's still pretty good. He's better physically, but he needs experience in other respects.

My base pack weight is about 13-14# for fall and I'm working on whittling that down a bit. The elephant in the room on my pack weight is my cushy insulated air mattress. Yes, I could save about a pound going to a Ridge Rest, but I would really like to sleep well.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

UberPest
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quick! My maps and guidebook came today. Between that and a post in this forum it's looking like I'll hike from the Southern Terminus to the US 27 crossing near Parker's Lake to resupply there (6 days of food carried in unless I can find a different spot), then on to Cumberland Falls SP for one more resupply before getting off the trail. The resupply at the park may not be needed, but since I have the option I might as well save a little weight. I'll end this section at Laurel Lake.

One question: With the relocation of the southern terminus, how have the mile numbers changed?

Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Extention Blazed: From Leatherwood Trail head just off Highway 297 at Big South Fork River, you will need to cross on the road bridge and at the west end of the bridge, take the JMT/ST along the river bank. Look for JMT/ST blazes. Follow the JMT to intersection of Fall Branch Trail. Take Fall Branch over to Litton Farm Loop over to Bandy Creek Campground. At Bandy Creek Campground, turn right on gravel road (Duncan Hollow Rd.) and follow road for about a mile to the Intersection of Katie Trail on left. Take Katie over and behind the campground to the intersection of Jack's Ridge Loop stay straight do not take the loop to the right, then continue until you intersect with Black Horse Branch. Black Horse Branch will intersect with Laurel Fork Creek Trail and further north Fork Ridge which is a wide road down to the intersection of the horse trail into Charit and further down to the end of the road to the hiking trail into Charit Lodge.At Charit where hikers can stay for $19.00 you join the Station Camp trail, which has just been redone with new gravel and is multiuse. Take Station Camp all the way over to the intersection with the JMT where you turn left and follow the JMT over to Divide Road. Cross Divide Road and continue on the JMT / Rock Creek Loop into Massey Creek, an old Forest Road which will intersect with the Sheltowee Spur to Pickett or left north toward Great Meadow.

Estimated Mileage:
ST/Rock Creek Loop Intersection to Divide Road : 1.5 miles
Divide Road to Station Camp: 16 miles
Station Camp to Bandy Creek: 9 miles
Bandy Creek to Leatherwood: 8 miles

UberPest
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the guidebook, the new section of trail diverges from the old route at about the 9.26 mile mark. If my math works out correctly that would shift the mile marks on my maps so mile 75 on the old route is approximately mile mark 100 on the new route. Does that sound about right?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Ewker miles are within the margin + or - a mile. We will know more when we GPS the distance this fall. About 100 miles from Leatherwood to Cumberland Falls. You can get a food drop at Cumberland Falls but really not needed since it is only two days hike from cumberland falls to Laurel.

Dog no problem. 10 miles a day is a good average but you most likely after you get through BSF up that to 13 with no problem.

Let us know if we can help with shuttle or other logistics.

traildust.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Hikinpeeps
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Dog Difficulties Reply with quote

Hey Uberpest, I just did the Leatherwood to Cumberland falls two weeks ago with my daughter and German Shepherd. Be advised that there are 2 ladders and a very, very steep set of stairs (ridiculously steep) that you will encounter while on the trail to the John Muir Overlook.

My shepherd is 70 lbs and very outdoors/adventurous, but she still had difficulties with the ladders and the ridiculous stairs. I had to assist in lowering her as she walked down the stairs by her collar as a braking method (so she did not tumble), and I had to boost her upwards in the two other locations. I am new to the trail, and I did not see a work around or scramble that we could have brought the dog up by, so if your dog is apprehensive and/or heavy, the term "no problem" may not be accurate regarding the difficulty level for your dog.

Also, make sure to pay very close attention when hiking because some of the trail is not as well blazed as others in the Big South Fork. Consult your maps frequently since the guidebook does not include from Leatherwood to mile 9 on the GIS maps. It will avoid some back-tracking.

Have a great time and feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about our hike, since it is the same one you will basically be making.

Cheers!

UberPest
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on the ladders and stairs. Ranger is a pretty good climber, but I've never exposed him to ladders. He figured his 6' kennel out all on his own, though. Confused I'm going to work on getting him used to steep steps in the next few weeks. I have a ladder I can use to get him used to that, too. Are the ladders on the trail straight up, or do they have a bit of incline to them? Also, how long are they? 6-10' he can probably do on his own with no problem, but more than that I'm going to have to figure something out. My old dog Beau (the one that passed last fall--he'd have been 13 yesterday) was able to do the stairs on fire towers without any problems and Ranger is more athletic than Beau was.

Ranger is a little smaller than your girl--he's 60#. I can carry him pretty easily, but not for very long. He's used to being picked up and moved around at this point due to the events we compete in.

We had a couple of spots on a day hike in May where the hillside coming out of a creek crossing had eroded to the point where the only way out was straight up. Luckily I was able to boost Ranger up to my friend on that hike. This time I might have to figure out some other options on the fly.

For reference, this is my buddy. I'm pretty proud of him. Smile

Ranger's page

Hikinpeeps
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: No Problems Reply with quote

WOW! After reviewing ranger's page, I can definitely say that he should have no problems with the stairs or the ladders. The ladders are made of logs that resemble the diameter of 4" landscaping timbers. The issue with the ladders is the rungs are a little further apart than a normal extension ladder, but with him being so physical, he should have no problems.

The ladders are about 5-6' high and are completely vertical. The stairs are about 12' high and are almost completely vertical (maybe a couple degrees off 90). If you are going from south to north, you will be descending the stairs, which will make it easy on the dog, especially if you use a wider, nylon or leather strap type collar.

As I stated, I basically lowered her down while she climbed and it only took a couple of seconds for her to be on the ground. If someone was planning on taking a larger breed dog over 75-80 lbs, they may experience some issues.

Ranger is certainly the show/competition dog! He will do fine on the trail and love every minute of it. I had a hard time keeping mine (Faedan) out of every creek and mud hole since it was pretty hot when we hiked it.

Have fun, and be safe on your trip!

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

changing the incline on the ladders is on our list of trail changes for the Trace in the BSF. Just need to get the changes approved and supplies and volunteers in to build new steps.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jkado
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Out and Backs Reply with quote

I am hoping to do some out and back over-nights along the trace this winter. With shorter distances and limited time i don't want to get stuck doing a lot of road walking. Does anyone have a list of major road sections, 1 mile or more? It can be hard to tell on maps what is a paved, frequently driven road and what is forest service double track.
WDW4
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Map Resource Reply with quote

jkado,

A good resource for this is http://caltopo.com/map.html (or its big brother http://www.hillmap.com/).

In caltopo, type the name of a town nearby the trail section you want to hike, into the box at the top of the page. Press enter. Then, to the right of this box you just typed in, where it says USGS 7.5' Topos, click the down arrow and select US Forest Service. The sheltowee trace shows in Red. The Forest Service maps do a good job of showing actual surface - gravel, paved, trail, etc.
jkado
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those links. they are super helpful, for the ST and other outdoor pursuits.
UberPest
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to postpone my trip because of a family obligation that came up as well as getting a new puppy. She was definitely too little to take along and I didn't want to leave her with friends for 10 days just a few weeks after bringing her home.

If I can do then entire ST end-to-end I'd very much like to do that. If I can't get the time and money together, I'll stick with this 10-day plan. Either way, it'll be a good trip this summer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: