Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RRG and Clifty Trail Run

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WDW4
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: RRG and Clifty Trail Run Reply with quote

I'm training to run the Sheltowee Trace from where it enters the southern edge of the Red River Gorge Geological Area (Whittleton Campground near mile 76) to where it leaves the Clifty Wilderness Area (near mile 62). Sometime in the cooler temps of the fall.

I'm guessing someone has done this specific section before, maybe lots of people. Anybody know of those who have done it?
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting into trail running in the RRG area pretty hot and heavy. I live fifteen miles away. I ran the Auxier Loop last Saturday and may get out in the morning to run trails again. I need eight miles.

You should check this out. My wife and I have been training for the Iron Horse half marathon in Midway in October, and this really doesn't fit in with the training plan, but I'm/we're going to do it:

http://sheltoweechallenge.weebly.com/

WDW4
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fun race Ascentionist! I think I'd like to do it! Auxier ridge area trails would be great for some training runs.
WDW4
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Race Report Reply with quote

The Sheltowee Challenge trail race was a ton of fun! The race had 50K and 1/2 Marathon (loosely measured) options. About 30 people showed up, most for the 1/2 marathon. Several people had route-finding issues, adding a few miles to their race by going the wrong way, but it seemed that everyone had a lot of fun. I look forward to doing it again next year.

Were you there ascentionist?
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, I opted not to do it this year because we had family stuff going on that day. I DID however get out at daybreak before the event and ran the ST from the suspension bridge north to Bison Way and returned via the paved road. I was hoping I'd get to go back and get some photos but was tied up all afternoon.
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning a totally unofficial, unsupported, unfinanced trail run from Martin's Fork Trailhead to Rock Bridge TH via Rough Trail and Swift Camp Creek Trail on January 4, 2014 (first Saturday after New Year's) and would love to have company.

According to Boyd's map of the RRG it's 16 miles (25k), but I'd allow the 14 mile shortcut from Grays Arch over to the Sheltowee at Pinch Em Tight avoiding the Grays Branch and Rush Branch sections of Rough Trail. But what's two miles?

I'll be taking off from Martin's Fork at 8am sharp on January 4. I don't even know yet if I'll have SAG myself so my backup plan is to run a bike shuttle.

I just finished my first road half marathon and will begin training for this run hot and heavy beginning Nov 2 and trying to squeeze in as many trail runs as possible between Nov 2 and Jan 4 in the Gorge area.

Anyone interested either meet then or message me.

WDW4
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ascentionist,

Sounds like a cool route! I'm postponing my attempt on the route referred to in the first post to focus on a certification course in November, but I think I'll ramp up the training thereafter. Maybe I'll run my route on the same day and we could meet up afterwards (Miguel's?) to compare experiences.

By the way, not sure if you care, but "unsupported" also usually means "unaccompanied". (http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/19/read-first) though I can certainly see the added fun of having someone else along.

Happy trails.
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be really cool actually. I think Miguel's is closed for the season in Jan though. I've been out of the loop so I'm not sure if that tradition still stands.

Good distinction. I think what I meant by inviting people along was for the experience, not the company. I find it hard to run or ride at the same pace as others. I don't think I was thinking we'd run together necessarily, but I also wasn't proposing an organized event.

WDW4
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ascentionist wrote:
I think Miguel's is closed for the season in Jan though.

Yeah it has been for as long as I can remember, wasn't thinking when I posted that. There are other options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: