Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New ST trailhead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firehawk1109
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: New ST trailhead Reply with quote

Is there a PDF of the new ST trailhead or is it obvious once there? I would like to transfer it onto the maps I just got in January. I'm doing ST to Cumberland Fall in late April and don't want to be lost before I even start!!

Thanks
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your hike. I assume from your comments that you are wanting to start in the south at BSF Southern Terminus and hike north to Cumberland Falls. I strongly recommend you purchase the Nat Geo Map of Big South Fork - we sell on our webpage www.sheltoweetrace.org or stop in the Bandy Creek Visitor Center and purchase one there. Print out the route info for the trail addition from this site or our webpage and you should be set.

Here is a PDF of Leatherwood. Please note, the John Muir Trail is also the Sheltowee. The old walking bridge across the river is out. You have to park, walk back up the drive turn right go across the bridge and at the end of the bridge on the right go down to the river bank and pick up the JMT.

Let us know if we can be of further assistance. Enjoy your hike.

traildust

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
firehawk1109
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Traildust. We might just start at the old ST and go from there. Is it still marked and accessible from Pickett SP? This will be my first time on the trail and I'm not familiar with the area down there so the easier the better as far as starting points is fine for me.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the trail is still marked but to be honest it is easier to start at the new location which you will drive right by on your way across the BSF to Pickett. Please don't head into Pickett without a local map. It is easy to get lost in Pickett and to miss the trail onto the Sheltowee.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
chester
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Traildust just said. Pickett State Park has many trails criss crossing with the Sheltowee. The new trail seems much easier.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Nice story on the ST extension in BSF Reply with quote

http://discoverscott.com/news/2013/sheltowee-trace-comes-to-oneida
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: