Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thru Hike Supply drops??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitty
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Thru Hike Supply drops?? Reply with quote

Me and a friend will be attempting a threw hike this fall and I want to start getting info together. I am looking for places we can resupply at? I would like to mail my supplies and have them held, does anyone know of and have contact info for some places like this along the trail? I have read John Molly's book on the trace but it doesn’t have any info on resupply points, I really think this is one of the biggest hurtles to overcome on a threw hike.
thanks

PS any other info would be great.
smitty
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to clarify I would like to mail my resupply packages and pick them up, of course I would be more then willing to compensate someone for holding my stuff. thanks
mrhughes1982
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting next weekend on my thru-hike. The only spot that I'm doing a mail drop is in Heidelburg, there's a PO right on the trail. There is a store close to Clear Creek and Cave run I'm sure that you could mail to.

I live close to the southern sections so if it comes down to it I can bring you some drops or hide them somewhere.
smitty
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the contact info the PO???
Thanks for the info and being willing to help out. SO your carrying all your food for half the hike? How far are you planning on hiking each day?
BSF-Hiker
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the southern half, there's Parkers Lake Post Office. It's 3.3 miles north from where the ST crosses US Hwy 27, near the 43 mile marker of the trail.

There's another one, Marshes Siding PO that's 4 miles to the south.

That's about the only ones somewhat close to the trail south of the I-75 crossing.

I work at Parkers Lake and could meet you at the TH either at lunch or in the late afternoon after work, if you don't catch a ride up to the office.

An idea place would be the Cumberland Falls Gift Shop. It's at the 62 mile mark of the trail and the trail goes right by the front door, but I don't know if they will allow that. I'll check into that.

O&W Bridge Overlook______________________________________ Princess Falls
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info here. Taba is also working on a Trail Guide to be out before summer that will be most helpful to you. Stay tuned here or to the Facebook group for details.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
smitty
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to the book I have John Molloy's but he does not go over supply drops. i will buy one for sure until then any ideas or places people have used would be helpful.

in my opinion this is the number one problem figuring out the threw hike safe places to get resupplied at. Maybe we could as a group contact some of the shops or parks on the ST and have them be food resupply points. Some people may welcome it, just a thought.

Thanks again for everyone who has offerd to help....
mrhughes1982
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's is a few places that can be used as drop offs:
Be sure to label that you are a hiker or they will probably return to sender!

Clear Creek Market
865 Clear Creek Road
Salt Lick, KY 40371-8401
(606) 683-2170‎
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=clear+creek+market+kentucky&fb=1&gl=us&hq=clear+creek+market&hnear=kentucky&view=map&cid=2580773616293239652&iwloc=A&ved=0CBcQpQY&sa=X&ei=sDjXS-7bOaGMzAS_4eCoAw

Natural Bridge State Resort Park
Stanton, Kentucky 40380
(606) 663-2214
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Cumberland%20Falls%20Visitor%20center%20&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Heidelberg Post Office
8677 Highway 399
Heidelberg, KY 41333-9998
(606) 464-0945
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=heidelberg+kentucky+post+office&fb=1&gl=us&hq=post+office&hnear=heidelberg+kentucky&cid=7040152021262193873

Apple Market Shell
US Highway 421 N
McKee, KY‎
(606) 287-8443‎

Cumberland Falls State Resort *Front Desk
7351 Kentucky 90
Corbin, KY 40701-8857
(606) 528-4121‎
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Cumberland%20Falls%20Visitor%20center%20&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

I'm not sure about how I'm going to get all my drops up North. I have friends meeting me in the Red River Gorge. I am going to do my last resupply in Morehead after I go eat about 10 plates of Chinese food Razz

When I get everything kinda twinked out Friday I'll post my plan. Everytime I get on a computer my notes and everything is 10 miles away Confused or I would have posted the PO info last time. I Googled it just now Very Happy
smitty
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!!!

Thank you so much this is some really good info, more then I thought i was going to get.

Good luck on you threw hike.
BSF-Hiker
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you send a package to a post office, address it as follows:

Your name
ATTN: Hold for Hiker
General Delivery
Post Office, KY zipcode

Also you might write an expected arrival date on the package.

I'm sure Heidelberg is very familiar with hiker packages, but some of the other offices may not be.

O&W Bridge Overlook______________________________________ Princess Falls
randyblock
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Heidelberg Post Office CLOSED Reply with quote

The Heidelberg PO must be closed as the phone has been disconnected. The folks at the Hemlock Lodge Front Desk in Natural Bridge were very receptive to helping.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Mail Drops Reply with quote

Heidelberg Post Office is closed. The Pinecrest Lodge just off 52 north of Heidelberg will hold your packages - they do shuttle - they will even rent you a great hostel room for a few bucks. They are a 1/4 mile past the old Mays Store which is open and serves great hot food.

200 Pine Crest Camp Rd., Beattyville, KY 41311

Phone: 606-464-2309 Alt Phone: 606-464-2309
Fax: 606-464-2309

Booking Website: www.beattyville...
Booking Email: chuck102001@aol.com

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: