Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KY trail with most elevation change?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elkins45
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: KY trail with most elevation change? Reply with quote

I know this isn't a ST related question (or maybe it is). I'm trying to get ready for a trip to the Grand Canyon and I would like to test myself with some serious uphill/downhill hikes. What trails in KY or nearby have the most elevation change?

I was thinking maybe somewhere around Cumberland Gap, or maybe Pine Mountain?

TIA for any input
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would nominate access roads to Pine Mt. (trail), i.e. road walk from Whitesburg up to the trail, road walk up to Pine Mt. State Park lodge from Pineville, Bad Branch trail to Pine Mt, access road to Kingdom Come St. Park,....any access to Pine Mt. will probably get you the greatest elevation change similar in grade to GC and in an area that's kind of geared toward outdoor foot travel. There are other places in EKy. that would be fantastic but coal companies seem to be reomoving them rather quickly.
flatfeet
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree, the Cumberland Gap or Pine Mountain area would give you the most continuous elevation change. Another idea might be the Rough Trail in the RR Gorge. Each elevation change is only 300-400 feet, but you go from the ridge to the gorge probably 4 times in a 7 mile stretch. Hence the name Rough.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Feet! The rough trail is about ten miles and appears to be specifically constructed to work the quads, glutes and lungs and take you through some spectaclar cove hardwood and hemlock heaven. Also, I just looked at the Cumberland Gap site and saw that there is a ridge trail, Ewing trail, 3 miles with a little over 1600 ft. elevation gain. I've never been there...can anybody give a description?
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get ready for a trip to the Grand Canyon
Quote:

Hey Elkins, which trip are you planning in the Canyon?

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeanme

Back to the Grand???? Spring I hope!

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. Mr. Dust, so you smoked me out. I hit the quote button incorrectly and wound up quoting myself asking a question of the original poster. I wanted Elkins to tell us about his GC trip. It takes no effort for me to confuse a situation quickly.
Elkins45
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeanme wrote:
O.K. Mr. Dust, so you smoked me out. I hit the quote button incorrectly and wound up quoting myself asking a question of the original poster. I wanted Elkins to tell us about his GC trip. It takes no effort for me to confuse a situation quickly.

Nothing exotic. Just a descent from the South Rim on the South Kaibab, camping at the Bright Angel campground then ascending the Bright Angel trail with a night at Indian Gardens on the way up. I imagine the climb from Indian Gardens to the rim is going to be quite the challenge to my knees and I'm trying to get a sense of if I'm going to be up to the challenge before I have to start committing funds.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elkins,
I would say going down S. Kaibab is going to be harder on the knees than going up. Hiking pole will help so will taking your time. Good pick on the route by the way. What time of year?

Elkins45
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeanme wrote:
Elkins,
I would say going down S. Kaibab is going to be harder on the knees than going up. Hiking pole will help so will taking your time. Good pick on the route by the way. What time of year?

Late spring.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! You will have a great time. I hope you take the trip you will not regret it. When you leave Bright Angel early in the morning you will have all day to hike 10 miles. You will have a fine shady rest at Indian Gardens, water up, and in a couple of miles the trail starts turning into a carnival as you get closer to the rim because the lodge people are venturing down a bit from the rim. Its a fun way to come up out of the canyon, seeing all those bermuda shorts and 3lb Nikon cameras.
flatfeet
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeanme,

I've done the Ewing Trail once. Its switchbacks all the way up and continuous elevation gain. A good workout for sure, but there is a nice payoff with the White Rocks lookout at the top. You can see south all the way to the Smokies and you can see a little bit to the northwest to KY.
deragoku
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your trip, you will not regret it. Early in the morning, when you leave an angel of light, you will have all day long 10 miles on foot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: