Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another trail work day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Another trail work day Reply with quote

I'm planning to do some trail clearing work just south of I-64 on Tuesday March 6th.
The trail crosses I-64 on KY 799, aka Big Perry Rd, and then turns onto the FS road immediately south of I-64. The trail travels along this FS road for 4.1 miles and then goes in to the woods. I plan to work from the FS road towards Morehead for 3 to 4 hours.

The goal is simple trail clearing and marking. Pruning shears, loppers and small folding saw should be all we need. Maybe a manual weed wacker.

I will proabably get there close to 11:00am. Anyone who would like to join me is welcome. Bring tools, water and snacks as you see fit.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did manage to make it to this section and according to signs I was able to clear and mark 2 miles of the trail. I did run into on heavy briar/bramble patch growing right on the trail. I didn't have my manual weed wacker so I was able to clear this as well as I would have liked. All I had was a folding saw and hand pruners, but I did get the trail passable. Two of our board of directors members went out March 9th and worked on doing a better clean up of this area from what I heard.

We really need for people to get out on the trail and do some pruning and weed wacking before the spring growth flush hits hard. With plenty of moisture in the ground and the warm weather I expect that will happen soon. Pruning and weed wacking is so much easier to do right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: