Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trail project day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Trail project day Reply with quote

Weather permitting I plan to go to a section just south of the Holly Fork swinging bridge and work on clearing a small section of the trail that we recently discovered has been inadvertently re-routed. There are some blowdowns to clear and the typical branches, briars, weeds, brambles to clear and of course a few trail markers to put up.

Anyone interested in joining me is welcome. If interested bring what ever appropriate tools you may have; pruners, loppers, small tree saws, an ax, garden rake, weed chopper, work gloves etc. A large tree saw would be nice also if anyone has one.

Water and snacks are always a good idea too.

I plan to spend about 4 hours on site.

Last edited by jbd on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the date?
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thats a good question!! I actually had the date in mind as I typed and thought I had put it in the message Embarassed Old age is getting me. Wink

February 18th or I could do February 19th if that is better for most people, or if the weather is not so good on the 18th.

Either day, I will plan to be there around 11:00 am
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JBD for doing this.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we are on for the 18th of Feb at 11:00 am. We will meet on Holly Fork Rd where the Sheltowee Trace crosses the road. The work site isn't far from the road. Looks like we will have 6 or 7 people there. I f all goes well time wise I would like to hike on to the location where we hope to put in a bridge and get some measurements so we can begin a materials list. Anyone who wishes to join me is welcome.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic work day in the Sheltowee Trace today!! As Chairman of the Board of Directors I would like to express a warm, sincere thank you to the crew today. Todays crew numbered 6 including myself. They were Bob M, Bob P, Dave, Carl and Carrie. All but one of this crew are board members. They were enthusiastic and motivated today and we accomplished a good bit more than we had originally set out to do.

The two Bob's headed north a short distance and took care of a place on the trail where water was running the length of the trail and making a muddy mess. These fine guys put in a french drain to divert water off the trail tread and by mid afternoon there was noticeable improvement. They then caught up with the main crew working south of the Holly Ford bridge.

We cleared some brush from around NRT markers that had become "lost" from view. We then proceeded to clear the original trail route from the fields edge into the woods. This went well until we came across a large downed tree. Carl and I worked with the big hand saw and finally got that cleared while the other cleared the remaining brush and another slightly smaller blowdown. A little trimming and detail work; relocate a few trail markers and we were all set to head to the two sites for proposed bridges and got some measurements. On the way out we created a small re-route to deal with bad spot in the trail where it crosses a creek.

Next project will be coming up soon. I would like to see more regular association members join us on the next outing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: