Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ideas for week-long beginner trip with fishing stop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squeak
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: ideas for week-long beginner trip with fishing stop? Reply with quote

Hello,

My boyfriend and I want to do our first backpacking trip in the Sheltowee Trace in early March, when I get spring break. I have done hiking/backpacking before in Europe (I was a scout in high school), but it's his first hiking trip. We've done a lot of research and bought everything we need, including a portable fishing pole. So what we would like to do is hike for 3 days, rest a day at a stream/lake where we can do some fishing, and hike back for another 3 days. We will be driving down and back, and are both pretty athletic so we do want somewhat of a challenging hike (although nothing too bad as it's our first). Also, since it's March I guess we should look for trails that won't be too terribly cold.

Any suggestions?
squeak
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Also... Reply with quote

Just checking: we are allowed to pitch our tent anywhere, right? Are there special places for building a fire for cooking, or can we just dig a hole for that? Do we need a special permit, and if so, where would we get it from? I found this website a little hard to navigate, so if someone could at least give me a page with info for these things I would be so grateful!
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider starting at the northern terminus and hiking to Stoney Cove near Cave Run lake. Other than that I think you will need to look at portions of the Sheltowee Trace near Laurel lake or other more southern parts of the Sheltowee Trace. Fishing license will be needed.

Most of the camping is where you can find a place but is usually frowned upon on any places where the Sheltowee Trace passes through private property. In any case it is important to practice leave no trace camping techniques. This is especially true on private property if you do get permission to camp there. There are some spots in the Stoney Cove area that have makeshift fire pits.

As far as I know there are no fees or permits for people hiking on the Sheltowee but there are some campgrounds co-located with the trail that may require a camping fee. Whittleton campground comes to mind.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurel Lake is good. Also you might consider the Sheltowee Trace around Rock Creek which is down in the Big South Fork at the south end of the Trace. Depends on the weather, rain etc... Laurel Lake is a safe bet.

Yes you will need to buy a back country permit for $5.00 to stay overnight in the Big South Fork. Check their webpage.

There is no permit required to stay in the woods in the DBNF but if you hit a camp ground you will need to pay a small fee.

Let us know if we can help you in planning your trip.

steve "traildust"

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Hiking and fishing Reply with quote

Northern Terminus to Stoney Cove (2-3 days)...fish and camp along the banks of Cave Run then 10 more miles south on the ST is Clear Creek Lake and Clear Creek campground (days 4 & 5) then hike on south on ST to 1274 with an arranged shuttle back to car. Six full days, a belly full of fish and a spring break with no sun tan. No matter which trip you choose, it sounds like you've got a great alt spring break in the planning. We'll all need to see the pics because fishin' tales aren't trusted around here without them.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Hiking/fishing Reply with quote

Oh, and P.S., Clear Creek Campground is under the supervision of USFS with a small fee, improved campsites with fire grates, and in sight of Clear Creek Lake right on the ST with Clear Creek restaraunt/bait shop @ 1 m from the campground with live bait (worms), catfish bait, and a decent cheeseburger plate and great pie. The strictest standards are employed to prevent cross-contamination of bait and burgers, so no worries.

Also, this is advisory only but I would skip digging holes anywhere (LNT). There are a few user created campsites along the ST in the Stoney Cove/Caney Loop area of Cave Run Lake. If you choose this route you will want to fish the Caney Creek portion (a large cove) and camp at one of the already impacted sites along the ST/Caney loop trail with fire pits.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to see you back on here weeanme
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
weeanme
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once was lost
But now am found
Was blind but now I see

How's the fishing at Laurel Lake? It could be tough at Cave Run in early March since the Corps releases so much water and the lake level is low. Or, then again, it might put a person bank fishing out closer to those standing snags up Caney where the crappie hang out. I don't know. Any anglers want to wade in?

REDS2004
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How accessible is the Caney Creek area by foot? How much of a walk is it from Stoney Cove? I've been looking for a place to catch crappie from the bank in Cave Run, but have been unsuccessful so far. It appears you have some suggestions, could you help a brother out Smile?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reds

Hope someone who fishs Cave run can answer. If not you might want to pose the question to our friends over at Ky Angling - on Facebook and the Web.

jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just last night I saw the KY fisheries report on tv and in discussing fishing at Cave Run for crappie they were all out on boats. That may have been file footage for all I know. As Traildust noted there is a magazine that addresses fishing in KY. The folks that write for them might be able to help. Not sure if it would help or not but could you contact the Fish and Wildlife Dept for info?

Forgot to mention that according to the report there are a lot of crappie still in the catch and release size range but those fish are now coming to an age where they will reach the 10" keeper size and crappie fishing at Cave Run should be good for the next 2 or 3 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: