Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Handheld

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> GPS Track and Waypoint Files
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlakeLeathers
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: GPS Handheld Reply with quote

Does anyone have any recommendations of what gps system I should be looking into buying?
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Garmin eTrex series for size and cost. If you're only using it hiking, you can probably avoid units that come with the MapSource road atlas stuff. Might be useful, but I never had the occasion to try it.
BlakeLeathers
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also once I do purchase a gps system, is there a website that could actually teach me how to use one and put topos of the information I need onto it?
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new GPS should contain enough information to get you started. As for basemaps, National Geographic sells a data for GPS units.

Other data like waypoints or data packs, you would use something free like EasyGPS.com to upload the data into your unit.

These things are pretty easy to learn. Having a paper map with location grid is usually far superior than the electronic basemaps. All GPS units give current location so all you need to do look on the unit and then transpose the coordinates to your paper map.

Spdbmp66
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any one have experience with the Magellan Triton? Even better can any one compare it to the Garmin 60csx? Both have the SiRF III componetry that gets better reception in Valleys, Canyons and wooded areas. Any real world experience with these units out there? Boyd, how does the eTrex compare to the CsX?
US inventor (1847 - 1931)
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spdbmp66 wrote:
Does any one have experience with the Magellan Triton? Even better can any one compare it to the Garmin 60csx? Both have the SiRF III componetry that gets better reception in Valleys, Canyons and wooded areas. Any real world experience with these units out there? Boyd, how does the eTrex compare to the CsX?

I haven't used either of these units, but the SiRF III chip is pretty cool. It can fix sats in less than 2 seconds and it's 20-channel so it can handle a lot of data. They claim 3-meters with WAAS, which 10 years ago was a $10k unit. They both seem like they carry the same features, except the Triton has a camera and audio capabilities. Listen to mp3's while you take pictures of your favorite waypoints.

Spdbmp66
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wouldn't want all those bells and whistles on the Triton 2000. The 1500 may even be overkill. The 500 on the other hand has the same features as the Garmin at about 1/2 the price. You can also down load National Geo. Topo maps to the unit which you can't do with the Garmin. Could be a good deal depending on how well it works compared to the Garmin.
US inventor (1847 - 1931)
Tim York
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a Garmin 62 as a Christmas gift and could use a bit of tutoring with it. Anyone care to give the Brownman a bit of help with this? He eagerly awaits locating concealed arches within the gorge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> GPS Track and Waypoint Files All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: