Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Narrows/Whites Branch Arch trail?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flatfeet
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: The Narrows/Whites Branch Arch trail? Reply with quote

Where is the trail to get below The Narrows and Whites Branch Arch? I was on the Sheltowee, hiking north, and I thought I saw a trail just after I passed the Narrows. I started to go down it, but was by myself and didn't want to risk falling. Is that the trail?

Also, I saw this on another post, but just wanted to confirm. If you're hiking in Lee County between Hwy 52 and Hwy 1036 a landslide and blowdown seemed to make the trail disappear into Little Sinking Creek. I was hiking northbound on New Virginia Ridge Rd and crossed the Big Sinking Creek. I follwed it downstream until the Little Sinking Creek comes in from the right. I turned right and followed the Little Sinking Creek upstream. After a few minutes the trail seems to go straight into the creek. I didn't proceed because it was almost waist-high water in November, and I couldn't see a trail on the other side of the hugh boulder and fallen tree. I backtracked to the Big Sinking Creek and followed an old road that went straight up the hill. It eventually turned North and the Sheltowee joined the road I was on. I don't have GPS coordinates, but the difficult part must be near the barricadded cave, which I couldn't find.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to do some research on this. Hopefully some of the folks on this forum can help here. Thanks for the question.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're hiking north across the arch the way down is on the west side and BEFORE you go over the arch. There is a trail that angles back to the south and then there is a short rock step (sometimes with helpful rotted rope) down to the forest floor. The arch is on a shelf above the lowest part of the cliff. And drops off very far on the east side...

This is the easiest way to reach the arch and the only safe way from the top that I know of.

I haven't been down into Little Sinking Creek in a few years, so I can't say for sure, but sometimes the road/trail actually uses the streambed. I know this is the case upstream on Big Sinking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: