Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Packing it all in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pilgrim11b10
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Packing it all in. Reply with quote

Hey Folks
Got another of those seemingly silly questions for you old pros out there, who are used to organized camping (unlike me).
I simply just threw everything into my shopping cart (just kidding)

"How do you pack it all in??"

I found a long and somewhat ludicrous check list online.They had a list of things to pack (way too long) and a few items to leave behind
( folding camp chair, really?). But nuttin on how it goes inside.

Right now I have it all scattered on the floor in my front room.
Nancy (Soul mate of 35 yrs) is none too happy tripping over my gear.
She doesnt share my revived hobby, she can't walk long distances.
Although I have heard mutterings about getting the hell out and just do it.

None the less how do I get this collection into my bag in an orderly manner. I have a kinda large inner support bag .
I was thinking about compartmentalizing <(spellcheck) in light tupperware secured w/fat rubber bands.( I read about using large zip-lock bags but that seems kinda tacky).

This way I could label and/or color coord my stash.
And it would still be somewhat rain resistant, maybe.
I'll do it my way in the end of course, shove cuss, mash cuss, push cuss. but any new ideas will be appreciated, ...by Nancy.
Typing would be much simpler without a kitten asleep on my keyboard.

Anyhoo I'm sure a few of you have some thoughts and what the heck why not make it part of the forums info perma-list. Unless of course it is already here and idjet that I am I haven't checked arrgh(**&%#).
Looking forward to hearing from you.

As always,
Take what you need,
Leave the rest.

See ya on the trail
Pilgrim Mr. Green

Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most important thing you can have for this trail is the thru hiker manual lt's a must. It gives you drop locations, camping area's, resupply area's, water sources, and very good directions. You can order one from http://www.sheltoweetrace.org/Trading_Post.html also check out the website for other details about the trail as well. Also you can contact Traildust (Steve Barbour) on here he has a list of people who can shuttle or can give a hand if needed on the trail. I don't know what your backpacking experience is but make sure you have plenty of water and a filter or pills especially this time of year. Some of the creeks are dried up and the hiker manual will explain all of this and let you know where it is avaliable. I would also make sure you have good broke in pair of high top boots as well. Some of the terrain is rough I would advise staying away form low tops. I wouldn't advise going very heavy some of the trail is pretty tough. Multiple drop area's would be your best bet. Once again the maunal gives you addresses, phone #'s, etc. for drops and resupply locations. As far as a cook stove I use an alcohol stove you can look them up on youtube for the kind you like the best. They are cheap, light, and easy to use and fuel is light to carry. It's just two alum. can bottoms cut off with cotton balls or insulation in the middle with burner holes in the top. You can use a metal wire hanger for a pot holder. Light weight and gets the job done. You use Heet (yellow bottle) car gas treatment for fuel (about a 1 to 2 dollars at wal-mart). Just message me if you can't find them. The lighter the better is the way to go. You will need a water proof bag and bear rope to keep your food up. There are bears and other critters on the sheltowee although bears are not seen much they are in the woods around the trail. Other then that just just the basic's like food tent or tarp tent, hiking poles, saftety kit, rain suit, trash bags to cover your gear, two sources of fire starter (waterproof matches and a lighter), food, head lamp, compass and maps, cash if you wish to camp at parks, and you will need parking permits if your leaving a car at some parts of the park, etc. Also make sure your conditioned to hike long distance with your pack. Walking long distances is alot different then hiking up and down hills on rough terrain with a pack. And the most important make sure to let someone know your plans and check back with them if you can. I would take a cell phone just to call and check in and that is it. You can get service in alot of areas on the trail especially on ridge tops. Plus there are some areas you can charge. I'm sure I have forgetten something. But that is off the top of my head. Hope this helps you out. Hope to see you out on the trail.

-Charles Kuralt, On The Road
Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to do drops I would advise shallow burying them that way the odor it's as strong to animals. I would also put the food in zip lock bags inside of a hard container. Plus people will not see them as easy and they are the main pain's on trails sometimes more then animals.
Sad

Tommy - The Tank
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the wife goes mine is the same way when I get my stuff scattered out as well LOL!!! But you just want to make sure you don't forget anything. As far as tacky goes going on a long trip alot of things are going to luck tacky even yourself by the time you get thru LOL!!! Good luck hope to see you out there.

Pilgrim11b10
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Packing it all in, wait, what? Reply with quote

Thanx Tommy for the input. I appteciate the help. I guess I'll just have to organize my bag so the stuff I need first is on top.

Push, cuss, shove cuss, cuss cuss.

As always
Take what you need
Leave the rest.
Pilgrim

jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zip-lock bags are lighter than the tupperware type of things and can be used as trash bags as you use the food out of them. My sister and brother in law pack all of day one food into one zip-lock; all of day two food into a zip-lock etc etc for the total amount they are going to carry. All of these then go into a stuff sack which then goes into the pack. Of course everything is pack packed is last used is first in the stuff sack. They have packs similar to yours I think.

I'm not quite so organized because my pack is much more compartmented then theirs. I have one place for water and food. Another place for sleeping gear. Another location for cooking equipment and fuel. Tent goes on top.

I lay all my stuff on the dining room table as I get ready to pack and review my packing list to make sure I don't forget anything. Once I know it is all there I pack it and its ready to go. Keeps the wife from fussing too much.
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a zip lock guy. Much easier to pack. I'll probably miss something, but here is my personal travel list for a 2-3 day trip;

How I Roll;

dd Hammock,

dd Tarp,

Lafuma 650 pro (40 deg synthetic),

Katadyn Hiker Pro microfilter,

Peak One Solo mess kit,

Zelph's alcohol stove (think that's right, it's a fiberglas wick type that I like best currently) I think I might recommend a small cannister stove for getting started with.

Princeton tec headlamp,

First Aid kit

firestarter, freezedried food and tp.

(That's the basics, now here comes some luxury stuff)

16oz coffee press, solar/crank powered am/fm/weather radio (tiny), and a paperback.

I can get this in a daypack (not a backpack), and on a rear mtb rack (split the load) no problem.

More camping usually leads to carrying less stuff Very Happy . It wont' take you long to get lined out Very Happy
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the question. Lot depends on the type of bag, length of trip, your preference for food, weather expected (rain and cold versus sun and hot). I lay it out on the table if you have a big enough table or the living room floor.

If you are going on the Sheltowee Trace, food stashing is not necessary. we have folks who you can send a box to and they will bring it to the trail. There are also a few post offices that will take you boxes and hold them.

Thanks for your membership in the STA. Your thruhiker manual is in the mail to you.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Pilgrim11b10
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Wow Great stuff Reply with quote

Great stuff every one thanx a bunch. I'll take all the help I can get.
I think what was giving me fits was all the small items, bug spray, vitamins,toe nail clippers, etc, lol.
Really glad to hear about food drops, what a terrific convenience, I feel much more comfortable about going out there for a month on the ST.

If at any time a work crew needs an additional body please give me a
holler. Here is my cell phone # I like what I have seen so far concerning the folks on this forum so I don't see giving my # as a problem. 859-979-1184. Looking forward to helping out.

I have a semi-small chain saw a gas weedeater and a few assorted tools. When I was younger back in the early 70s I worked for a while with the Cailfornia Conservation Corps. up in the Big Sur area.

Clearing trails and shoveling mudslides after a rain storm. Erosion was bad in places and the work was exhausting but I would do it again in a heart beat. This was some time ago and I was just another guy with an ax, I left after a summer so all I'm really good for is grunt work but that,.. I'm pretty good at, lol.

See ya on the trail.
Pilgrim

LedNick
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a zip lock guy. Much easier to pack.

not only easier but also faster. well, for me personally. that's why i prefer it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: