Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big South Fork: Angel Falls Overlook in the moonlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonman
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Big South Fork: Angel Falls Overlook in the moonlight Reply with quote

I took this picture on Saturday night, October 7th 2006. The moon was full so I set my camera on a tripod and played around with the long exposure and ISO settings. This was the best shot.

Canon Powershot A530, 15 sec exposure, ISO 200

Moonman
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot Moonman!

Is this a digital camera? I noticed a lot of noise with my digital camera (Nikon 5700), which I have to photoshop out sometimes. The attached is from Leathwood overlooking the Big South Fork from last month's waxing nearly-full moon. It's 400 speed at 8sec.

Boyd

ps...do you ever tweak the exposure with burning and dodging?

Moonman
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Boyd.

Yes it is a digital camera -- 5 megapixel. I was playing around with the exposure settings over a month ago and realized that...duh...if I wanted to take any halfway decent pictures with long exposures, I would need a tripod. So on my last trip I packed in a tripod and the pictures are a lot better, but like you, I noticed that there is a lot of "noise".

I know that with 35mm film, higher speed film means greater light sensitivity but more grainy pics. It seems that a simular effect is happening with digital cameras. Does any photographers out there know anything about this?

I don't know anything about "burning and dodging" but I assume it has something to do with Photoshop. I have the program and I will definitely look into it. You certainly seem to know what you are doing, Boyd. Your shot is with a higher ISO but it is definitely less grainy than mine!

Moonman
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Moonman,

Just got back from the BSF...Bandy was full sat. night. Was there a TN game? I heard maybe some tailgaters. I had to camp about a mile to the east in scott co. forest. We published the JMT map last week and the gift shop will have them soon. I stopped at theBig South Lodge by the cumberland trailhead and left some...and Cherokee Trails Cafe and Market have them too...still working on getting them in Knoxville. When I get them on the outrageGIS.com store, I'll send you a gift certificate. Smile

Note. The equestrians would love your map, since our map basically ends at the O&W bridge. True West says they need a map of trails south of 297.

As for noise, I think it also dramatically increases when you increase the length of the exposure. Your exposure was about twice as long as mine...a full stop. My camera only exposes up to 8 seconds so I need lots of light for night exposures. Also, I had to remove a bunch of single bright pixels, which is also a problem with long digital exposures I suspect.

Boyd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: