Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KY 80 to I-75

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahigh70
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: KY 80 to I-75 Reply with quote

I am new to the forum and for that matter new to the Sheltowee Trace. I was just wondering how well the trailhead is marked at KY 80 and 1956. I know there is a parking area about .3 miles in from 80 but I would like to get started right at KY 80. I was also wondering how well the trailhead is marked at I-75 at exit 49 as my ride will pick me up there when I am finished. Any other tips for this section would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
sethm_17
cub
cub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: KY80 to exit 49 Reply with quote

My friend and I just hiked out on this section yesterday. The trail is fairly easy to spot on 1956 and 80. The trail crosses almost directly across the road on 1956 and on 80 you'll have to hike about 150yd from where the trail hits the road to where it re-enters the woods. Signs are there but you may have to look close with the tall grass and tree limbs hanging down along the road. There is a small parking area at 1956 and a wide shoulder on 80 to leave your car.

The trail from Hwy 80 up till about mile marker 104 is really nice with several creek crossings, steep cliffs, overhangs and a few switchbacks. From mile 104 to 106 its all jeep/4wheeler trails.

When you come off the trail around 104 and make a left onto the access road, be sure to dog-leg right after a hundred yards or so where there are several large trees fallen over and not stay on the nicer maintained gravel road. We made this mistake and hiked 45 mins up this road before realizing we made a wrong turn.

104-106 is along a high ridge with a few nice views through the trees but the trail is wide and it feels like you're walking through OHV land- which you are. There are lots of forks of other jeep trails so be sure to keep a close eye out for the trail markers. The trail is consistently marked through here so if you go too far without seeing a trail marker you've probably made a wrong turn. Some of the trail markers are hard to spot due to tree limbs and vines but they are there if you look for them.

There is a truckstop/gas station on the West side of exit 49- I would suggest your friend pick you up there so they don't get lost back in the gravel roads. The exit road off the hwy immediately turns to a fairly well maintained gravel access road and goes back for miles. The Sheltowee comes out on this trail just about a mile from the gas station.
ahigh70
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt response. I appreciate the tips. I was out there yesterday kind of scoping things out and it does seem pretty well marked. I have one other question if I may. I noticed a trailer to the east of the 1596 trailhead with a beware of dog sign. Did you have any issues with any dogs while on this segment of the trail? Thanks again and Happy Hiking!
sethm_17
cub
cub

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are welcome. We didn't have any issues with dogs, but then again when we passed that trailer it was pouring rain really hard and the dog(s) may not have even known we were there.

Also, I forgot to mention that I know there are a few different maps out there and some label the trail mile markers from north to south and others from south to north. The one we had was labeled from south to north in case my mile marker references were confusing to you.

My friend and I hiked from mile 43 to 106 last Friday through Tuesday so if you have any other questions about this section let me know. We've been to the RR Gorge and Smokies many times and this section of trail rivaled them both. We are eager to do more of the trail in the future.
veela-valoom
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahigh70 wrote:
Thanks for the prompt response. I appreciate the tips. I was out there yesterday kind of scoping things out and it does seem pretty well marked. I have one other question if I may. I noticed a trailer to the east of the 1596 trailhead with a beware of dog sign. Did you have any issues with any dogs while on this segment of the trail? Thanks again and Happy Hiking!

I have hiked from 1956 to Hawk Creek bridge & back a few times with no issues. Only dogs I've seen are other hikers dogs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: