Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horse Lick Creek to Laural River Lake; how much trail?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Horse Lick Creek to Laural River Lake; how much trail? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've made it from the Northern Terminus to S-Tree campground so far without walking much road, and I'd like to continue that streak but it's getting tougher the further south I go. We drove from S-Tree south and hit Horse Lick Creek about four weeks back, but the water was too high and fast to cross in a car or on foot.

Looking at the interactive map, it looks like it's all road from there to where it leaves RT 490, then it seems to be about 3 miles of trail before hitting another road (Wildcat Trail Rd.?).

My question; is any of this section worth hiking considering I don't want to walk on gravel roads? I don't mind old forest roads, but any improved roads are just too hard on me. I don't mind a couple of miles at a time, either, but long stretches hurt my feet, back, hips, and knees; not to mention bore me to tears.

Should I just skip all this and start on route 80? I hate to miss any of the trail, but driving down from Ohio to finish this in sections is going to require some sacrifice on my part and I need to maximize the time I have.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walkin sorry no one got back to you. Hope you are well. You might want to pick up the trail at the I-75 crossover. You can get dropped down the road where the trail turns left and south. That is old forest road, sandy, sandstone, and you should be good to go for a long way off the roads.

steve

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Walkin'man
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Traildust! Sounds like a plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: