Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sites in need of Repair??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewS
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Sites in need of Repair?? Reply with quote

I've recently started a position at Morehead State University, and I'm in the early stages of planning an alternative spring break for students across the state to come to the area and perform maintenance on the area trails, namely the Sheltowee.

I'm in the process of contacting the Ranger District to see what parts need work that they know of and how we should go about it, but I wanted to ask everyone here if they knew of areas from Red River Gorge to the North Terminus that could use some attention.
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First a big thank you for taking this on. The ranger, Dave Manner, can talk to you about the requirements for volunteering with the USFS. Don't let it discourage you.

As for the trail in need of maintenance - The entire section from the NT to Rt 32 in Morehead will need plenty of help in the Spring. The Sheltowee Trace Association can assist with logistics and equipment and probably have some members join in the experience.

One of our goals is to get the students at MSU more active in trail maintenance but also more importantly in using the trail for hiking and biking where appropriate.

Please keep in touch and let me know how we can be of assistance.

Steve Barbour
Interim Ex. Dir
The Sheltowee Trace Ass.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a big thanks for the interest in taking care of the Sheltowee.

Much of what needs to be done along the trail section you mention is clearing overgrowth i.e. weeds, brambles, briars and tree seedlings.

Also there needs to be better marking of the trail. I spoke with Carey Loomis (one of the rangers) a few days ago and he told me the FS is ordering new trail markers for the Sheltowee. We are hoping they will be in sometime in October.

As Steve (Traildust) mentioned, one of our goals is to get the Morehead students using the trail more. The increased use helps keep the overgrowth down to something much more manageable.
Chilton
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,
I am a Morehead alumnus and just graduated in 08. While I was there I was a member of Sigma Pi and organized them to do quite a bit of work on the trail in the area. Many of the guys who worked on the trail during that time are still members and I am sure they can give you lots of support. At one point they talked about adopting the Sheltowee as their local philanthropy and still may be interested. Contact them and I'm sure you can find some workers as well as many guys who know many much of the trail.

FYI: If you weren't aware the trail can be easily accessed from the eagle lake trail from campus.
AndrewS
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thank you all for this information. It seems as though this site was the perfect way for me to meet just the right people. I will keep everyone posted on how I am progressing.

Right now, it looks as though AmeriCorps NCCC will be coming to Morehead for a 5 week stay and hosting students from across the state to spend their spring breaks doing service work on clearing the trails. I work through an organization called KY Campus Compact which includes 22 universities in the state, and I'm working to have it so that each university sends a team.

I'd love to hear if anyone else knows of a group (students or community members) that might be interested in joining in.

Thanks again!
Andrew
PR
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awesome. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jbd
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound awesome!!!
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met with Andrew on Friday and he has a solid plan. I asked him to focus on the section from the NT to Hiedelburg, depending on the number of students who participate. They will need some of us to volunteer to just work side-by-side for a day or a week with these young people. More details to come.

steve "traildust"

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Outcasthiker
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Currently hiking the trail Reply with quote

I have just joined this forum. My group is currently hiking the trail from the South to the North. We are doing it in five day segments. I will keep you posted as we hike sections as to where the maintenance needs to be preformed. I have been posting on facebook under the sheltowee group talking with a Steve Barbour. You can track our stories on our blog
mrhughes1982
in the stride
in the stride

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The section that goes up marks branch creek from Helmock Grove North to Peters Mt needs some work. It crosses the creek 17+ times and you go walking through the creek and then realize the trail is off to the side. This trail really needs marked better and maybe some mini bridges and walkways to cut down on erosion.

Outcasthiker if you ever need a shuttle or something I can help you out I live close to BSF and then also sections leading up to I-75. Feel free to give me an shout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: