Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pictures from around Cumberland Falls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veela-valoom
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Pictures from around Cumberland Falls Reply with quote

I don't have any mile marker numbers because I was hiking different trails when I took these shots, but I thought they would still be appreciated here. Cumberland Falls is kind of my stomping ground for hiking. I also have pictures from Beaver Creek, Cumberland Gap, Laurel Lake & a few other places not connected with the Sheltowee Trace. If anyone likes, I'll post those.

Blue Bend Trail along the river. I really liked this trail because we didn't encounter many people (especially compared with some other trails at the Falls)

Blue Bend Trail. Lovely overhangs.

View of the Falls as seen from Eagle Falls Trail

[/img]
If you ever hike Eagle Falls the loop is a must-do. It's the prettiest part of the trail (in my opinion) and most people just go back the way they came rather than taking the loop. This is the creek above Eagle Falls.

I don't know how many of you knew that a tornado hit Cumberland Falls this past summer. But most of the trails were closed for a few months because of damage. Me and Dad hiked the wildflower loop (because it was the only one open aside from Eagle Falls open). This is where it intersected with Dog Slaughter, which was closed at the time. I'm pretty sure they've cleared it all up now.

Let me know if you want me to post any of my pictures that aren't near the Sheltowee Trace. I'll update as I hike some more.
Boyd
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE
BOONE-ified GPS DUDE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make it up to Dog Slaughter? That's a fantastically scenic spot along the ST and I hope it's not too damaged...but then the trees do grow back.
veela-valoom
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't. They told us that Dog Slaughter was closed. We just did a small wildflower loop (completely undamaged) that happened to intersect with dog slaughter. I think the damage is fixed because as far as I know all of the trails at Cumberland Falls are open.

As far as I could tell the damage was kind of random and sporadic, so I doubt the trail unless it was directly in the path got too much damage. Most of the damage I saw was a friendship garden up by the lodge that was completely torn up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> Photographs of Trail Conditions & Environs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: