Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fastest Thruhike
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The STA is a multiuse trail. That said, Captain Blue is right there are some land managers that prohibit bikes and horses on the trails. We are working to identify all those sections and determine reasonable alternate routes. The fact of the matter is, as it stands right now, the Daniel Boone National Forest is an open forest meaning folks can go wherever they want on horseback. This is subject to change as this rule is now up for review.

Trouble starts in those areas where there is overuse or where the section of the Trace or any trail is popular and easily accessed. The trick is folks getting along, yeilding the right of way. We just did the Intro to Backpacking hike and that small group got this experience first hand when while hiking in Cave Run they came upon horses and mountain bikes, all at the same intersection. No trouble, no negative words, just a few greetings and away they went.

We have request now pending from the horse community for a Challenge Experience for horses similar to the Hiker Challenge and we are working to see if we can make this happen since the Trace is multiuse.

There is a place on the Trace for everyone.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
genes
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have frequently run into horses on the "hiking" only trails in the BSF. Not too big of a deal except for the fact that some riders seem to think they own the trail and expect the hikers to move off of the trail and let them pass.

My son and I met a group of 4-5 horses on a BSF hiking only portion and when I informed them of that fact I got "flipped off". Where are the rangers when you need them?

Gene
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would like every user of the Trace to adopt the standard yielding courtesy for mixed use trails.

Hikers yield to bikers and horseback riders
Bikers yield to horseback riders

Most times though the first person to see someone coming stops and motions the other on or if the terrain is an issue the hiker might get waved on by other users especially if the hiker is going uphill and the horse or mountain bike rider is at the top going down.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Hillbilly Wanderer2
cub
cub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really feel that most of these stories are the extremes and not the norms for when the hikers, mountain bikers and horses meet. In any group you have no matter what it is business or recreational prob a guess 10% going to be the a@$ holes and give the entire group a bad name. Its like business, you can do a 100 good jobs but do one bad one and that's what everybody remembers. Agree with otherd that if we really think about it for most part all groups.are pretty good people. Oh yea, signed up for 2013 challenge did not know one was in works for horses, sign me up! Pumped about that and looking forward to january first hike!
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildust wrote:
We would like every user of the Trace to adopt the standard yielding courtesy for mixed use trails.

Hikers yield to bikers and horseback riders
Bikers yield to horseback riders

Most times though the first person to see someone coming stops and motions the other on or if the terrain is an issue the hiker might get waved on by other users especially if the hiker is going uphill and the horse or mountain bike rider is at the top going down.

I'm sorry but you have it wrong when you say hikers are suppose to yield to bikers. Every place I have been on where hikers and bikers share the trail it always says bikers to yield to hikers. A hiker can't yield when biker comes around a bend or over a hill. The biker is the one who is suppose to yield.

Captain Blue
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one is correct for the DBNF?

Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

per the IMBA website

Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

another website says:

The usual trail etiquette rules are, basically:

1.Cyclists yield to everybody
2.Everybody yields to horses
3.If you're both cyclists (or both hikers, etc), somebody going downhill yields to somebody going uphill

another website

•Hikers, runners, and bikers should always yield to horses
•Bikers should yield to hikers and runners
•Downhill traffic should yield to uphill traffic

based on the above it seems bikers have to yield everyone

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ewker and Captain Blue for the comments. We have asked for over a year that the DBNF put one of these yield signs up on the trails where there is conflict. Not much success so far.

Ewker,
From my point of view, hikers have the ability to react to bikers coming around the corner unexpectedly faster than a biker can hit the brakes and bring a bike to a halt.
Obviously the parties here can't agree which is indicative of the parties out on the trail. But Hillbilly is right, it is the small portion that don't cooperate on the trail that cause the issues. Most just go on and yield and think nothing of it.

Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, considering that Matt is in the process of making his FKT bid right now this is an interesting re-read!

I've got to get busy!

Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know who has the record for fastest unsupported thru-hike without the vehicle shuttling that Rick utilized?

I'm curious how fast it has been hiked end to end with no interruptions along the way.

Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastest was last winter/spring. 12 / 13 days i think. He got stopped in McKee with high water.

steve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: