Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fastest Thruhike
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Fastest Thruhike Reply with quote

At the ALDHA Gathering this past weekend, Appalachian Trail Long Distance Hiking Association, a couple young men who thruhiked the A.T. this past year asked me to confirm the fastest time hiking end-2-end on the Trace. Told them I believe as far as we know it is I.B. Me and it was 12 days.

If that is not right please let me know someone. They are planning a spring attempt at completing the ST End 2 End in 10 to 11 days which should be an interesting challenge.

They completed the A.T. - over 2000 miles in around 150 days.

traildust.

Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
matt.hoyes
cub
cub

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: fast thru hike / run Reply with quote

if a person was to have someone shuttle their gear each day but ran throughout the day unsupported, would that be considered a through run?

thinking a person could do 40 a day for a week. it'd be a killer, but it makes me think of a recent stage race held over the AT in Virginia. trail ultra-running guru Eric Grossman put it on. they ran 40's - 50's a day but only had to be self-sufficient during the stage.

man, that would be one heck of a week.

Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking about this tonight. I was thinking it might be possible to thru hike/run the trace in 6-8 days with maybe one day of rest.

Theoretically is should be possible to do it in about 5 days or better based on the record for the Colorado Trail Race which is 500 miles and gains 65,000' which is 10 days and 19 hours.

I've also been thinking it should be possible to thru bike (with detours of course) in two days or less.

Anyone have any hard data on records either way?
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of our knowledge we have no data on anyone running the Trace or biking the whole Trace. Those that have tried to bike have run into tire issues as in flat tires. But someone has to be the first. Let me know if the STA can help.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flats can be fixed. That shouldn't stop the whole show. I really believe it could be biked in two days or less.

Is there an official fastest thru hike time? I'm not an ultra-marathoner, or a trail runner even, but I think I could train to run/hike it unsupported in less than ten days.
Captain Blue
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bicycles are not allowed on some sections of the Sheltowee Trace. They are definitely not allowed in the Clifty Wilderness at Red River Gorge. You should check with Pickett State Park, Big South Fork NRRA, Cumberland Falls State Park and Natural Bridge State Park to see if they allow bicycle use on their trails. It might not be wise for the STA to sanction or recognize events that violate state or federal law. It might get the group in trouble with the land managers.
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would have to be obvious detours. That's the beauty of a bike.
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep bikes off the trails, they do nothing but ruin it
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's nothing but a bias against bikes, and a misconception. Mountain bike groups typically help to build and maintain well designed and sustainable trails.

All user groups have an impact on trails. Hikers are not innocent. Take a look at the overuse in places like the Red River Gorge where bikes and horses aren't allowed. How does the damage occur?
Captain Blue
cub
cub

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's nothing but a bias against bikes, and a misconception. Mountain bike groups typically help to build and maintain well designed and sustainable trails.

I agree. Some of the best maintained trails I have seen were done by mountain bike enthusiasts.

Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ascentionist wrote:

All user groups have an impact on trails. Hikers are not innocent. Take a look at the overuse in places like the Red River Gorge where bikes and horses aren't allowed. How does the damage occur?

bikers have no concern about hikers on the trails. There are way too many incidents where bikers have hit hikers and kids. Also the trails I have seen from bikers are a mess since they do not allow the ground to dry out before they start riding on the trails. there are signs they say do not ride if the trails are wet.

There are trails out there for bikers only so go there and enjoy

Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with cyclists, but I assure you, in areas where there are large numbers of both cyclists and hikers they do get along in harmony for the most part and are very courteous and considerate. That said, there are bad eggs in every user group and more exposure and more education can go a long way to making a better environment for everybody.

Basically telling one user group to go away isn't the answer. It's an unreasonable bias.

I grew up in Eastern Kentucky and didn't discover the joys of mountain biking until I moved away, because of attitudes like yours (Ewkers) despite eastern Kentucky being ripe for the development of mountain biking.

The issue of bikes destroying wet trails isn't such a specific issue either. Horses do far more damage and again, hikers are not innocent when it comes to destroying trails. We love them to death, don't we?
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with you about horses and the way they destroy the trail. I try to avoid hiking trails that shares them with horses.

I was a mountain bike rider yrs ago so don't go preaching how nice they can/can't be. Unfortunately most aren't esp when on trails they shouldn't be on. I have seen many bikers on trails that are just for hikers only. that causes problems because the hiker isn't expecting a biker to be on the trail.
Just so you know I am not playing sides I have also seen hikers on trails just for bikes and that is stupid because a biker isn't looking for someone hiking

Not telling them go away, just stay on trails designed for bikes only.

Bikes, horses and hikers should not share any trail as it causes problems

MuddyBoots
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rather enjoyed meeting bikers and horse riders on the trail. Isn't the issue just generally being considerate of other people regardless of rubber, sole or hoof?
Ascentionist
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuddyBoots, I agree. We're not bikes, or horses or OHVs. We're people, all sharing space in the world. Ewkers' point that bikes, hikers and horses should never share trails just doesn't make sense in our world. Reality is that we do have to share the spaces we love with others and make the best of it.

The way to do that is to be kind and considerate. People will return the behavior in kind.

I currently live in the Denver metro area (2+ million people) and frequently use the trails that are within walking and biking distance of the suburbs to ride and to hike, often with my kids.

I'm not going to lie, sometimes cyclists come barreling through with no regard for others. But equestrians do the same, and hikers with dogs on 10' leashes are the bane of all other trail users.

The overwhelming majority of any type of user on the trail will smile when they meet you, get over if they need to, or if you get over for them thank you and behave graciously. I am continually amazed that in an urban setting, on crowded trails, that the best in people come out.

Though at times the worst in people comes out. That is reality, but no reason to exclude a certain user group from using a trail or other recreational facility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: