Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index Archive home

Mapping the Sheltowee
A Guide for the Trails in the BSF and DBNF

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist      Big Turtle Photo Club    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peter's Mountain to the trestle at Big South Fork River

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuddyBoots
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Peter's Mountain to the trestle at Big South Fork River Reply with quote

Great day on the ST today. I put in time from Peter’s Mountain to Big South Fork River today. The trail was in good shape. I could tell that several sections had been de-weeded recently. Thank you to whoever put in the time! I know one of them was BP! Thanks Bob!

I stashed my Mountain Bike is the woods at the rail road trestle at Big South Fork River and drove the truck over to Peter’s Mountain. I had uneventful hiking until leaving the gravel road and traveling the woods route towards Beech Tree Road. I came around a bend and had a mama Black Bear and one cub 50 feet up the trail. They had heard me coming and the cub was already scampering off the trail into the woods. Moma followed also at an accelerated pace although looking over her shoulder continuously. Since they were moving along and I could still spot them moving away from me in the woods, I kept my pace. The pair stopped on the next ridge and watched me pass on by. For the next mile or so it was my turn to kept glancing over my shoulder but never saw them again. By the way, Moma was sporting a white ear tag.

I had more trouble with a Turkey that I ran into. He was not about to give up his perch in the middle of the trail. Surprisingly, I got within 10 feet of him before he casually walked off the trail to let me pass. I saw another half dozen Turkeys through out the day. All took flight well before I came near. That’s much more what I expect. Boy those big birds make a racket flapping their wings against the underbrush as they take flight!

The two highlights for me were some awesome giant boulder fields in a several places. One section before Beech Grove Road has a terrific ridge walk with spectacular views. Must be great in the winter when the leaves are off the trees.

I’m hiking with the 2012 ST Challenge group. In November, when we hiked from Beech Grove Road on past the Big South Fork River, we had to leave the ST and road march after Koger Arch due to high water in Rock Creek. So I decided to re-hike Beech Grove Road down to the Big South Fork so I would know that I have been on the whole ST. Rock Creek was tamer this time with water just below the knees.

Reached my bike and started on the road back to Peter’s Mountain. You know what? After crossing over the bridge at Rock Creek there is a one and ½ mile hill climb up Beech Grove road. One heck of a hill climb! My legs were done by the time I reached the top! <smile> Fortunately, there are numerous shorter up and down hill slopes after that to give a little relief. After riding about half the way back to my car, a good Samaritan stopped and gave my bike and me a lift the rest of the way.

The hiking was great… can’t say the same for riding that bike up the hills though! <smile>
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the trip report. Did you take any pics of your trip
Traildust
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff - Jim. Yep Bob did the clearing mostly. Glad you got this section done.
Check us out at sheltoweetrace.twitter.com and on facebook in the hiking groups under The Sheltowee Trace. Sign up and join the discussion. Become a member of The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain and grow the Trace.
MuddyBoots
on trail
on trail

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Photos Reply with quote

Yes, I took a few...
Ewker
merciless pace
merciless pace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice photos..thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it was all fun for you, well TBH its important to have fun to the fullest so that the actual outcome of that tour is there.
Sticking to the factors which lets us understand is fine enough.
genes
cub
cub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Cornelius "Hack"

Gene
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mapping the Sheltowee Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: